HybridZ

? about using two mufflers

Jason81NA,82RBtt

I got a question about a idea I come up with for my 92SE Maxima.

Object:A good flowing pretty quit exhaust.

Idea:Install a 2.5 Elderbrock muffler in place of a cat and finish it off with a universal 2.5 Apexi N1 and all new piping.

I think that this set up would look good, without being much louder than stock, but flow much more.I don't need to keep the cat, no emission test.What do you guys think? I think that cars like my Maxima does not need to be heard, like sports cars do.

thanks

JasonRB260ZX

P.S. I know that should ask the Maxima fourms but they a not nearly knowledgeable a most of the Z car people.There idea of "a swap" is replacing the stock windsheild washers with the LED type.

Thanks, I have already got the Elderbrock on my 81 NA.It's faily quite. I will be removing it from the Z when I install a 2.5 inch exhaust on the Z with a N1 at the back. My friend's 260z has a N1 and it is much quiter that his old Flowmaster. That leaves the Elderbrock free to use on the Maxima. I'm only going to use the N1 for looks. I going to use second muffler as the main sound deading device. If the combo(Elderbrock/Apexi)is to loud, I'll look into getting a Dynomax muffler. I have heard lots and lots of good stuff about Dynomax.

Thanks

JasonRB260ZX

I run this setup on my 76z. i have full stock exhaust with a dummy cat and a universal Apex'i N1 N/A muffler (2 1/4 inlet). it runs great, not too loud, infact i bought the optional silencer just incase it was too loud but i run it without the silencer because it isn't. it has a very deep rumble to it at idle, roars great uptop and it's never buzzy or raspy, and the build quality is great. If you are thinking of this setup go for it, you won't be dissapointed.

All I can say is Magnaflow. I've heard good things about these mufflers. Not very expensive and sound awesome. Use a straight flow through up front and another in the rear. Normally they are very quiet at idle and open up at the top end. I think with the extra up front it would definitely help a little with the upper RPM noise. I'm just biased against most of the Edelbrock and Flowmaster mufflers. Not straight through design and others tend to place the louvered baffling in the way which disrupts air flow.