HybridZ

probs with the mazda Z 2000's efi HELP

scottyMIz

i got it all together and actually took it for a ride today it was great in first but second and the rest of the gears where laggy.The only thing is i had to unhook the temp sensor and take the afm off but leave it hooked up to make it run even close to ok.I'm thinking my afm is bad but i don't know for sure anyone got any ideas?Here's what it does when the afm is hooked up it seems like i can't get the spring tight enuf if i rev it up it gets too much fuel and bogs down i can use my finger and push the little arm back to simulate less air getting sucked in and it'll rev right up but only if i hang on to the little arm and control it with my finger.Please help i'm about to go nuts cry2.gif maybe it was the over exposure to the fumes. eek2.gif I did spend alot of time in with the truck eyes watering and trying to breathe a few times i had to step out of the garage to get soem fresh air and yes the door was open i didn't run it with the door closed.It's runnign way tooo rich and i do have all the sensors hooked this time.

i'll try that today but i'm sure i got them right i had to splice the wires cuz the old connectors where junk so i think they are right.The afm is junk tho and i was thinking maybe the ecu if the new afm won't fix it.I think my thermotime sensor is bad would that cause problems too?

Scotty, I'm getting a turbo AFM sent out to me and it should be here sometime this week, let me know if you are interested.

Did you mess with that bypass screw? I'm guessing the AFM has some built in resistance that it shouldn't have. Could try rubbing the surfaces and see if that helps.

I also have a `85 300ZX Turbo AFM, and ECU. I know you don't want to put anymore money into the truck, but keep it in mind for later down the road. I don't think I'll be using the 300ZXT stuff because of the lack of adjustability in the AFM.

GRRRR i'm about to run this thing into a tree!!! only if i could get it to run right i prolly would the way it runs now i'd get right to it and it would stall :rolleyes: But i tried to fix the afm and it didn't work and i tried changing the plugs switching them and it didn't help cuss.gif i am going to get another afm and try that if it doesn't work i know something else is bad.Does the thermotime switch have any thing to do with how the engine runs?Does the ecu look at it for adjusting mixture?It's the only thing that isn't good besides the afm.HELP HELP i'm gonna go nuts b_hand.gif

Scotty,

I think one reply above may be on the right track with the water temp sensor/wiring. It is possible to cross the connectors in the harness which runs over the manifold and get thermotime wiring and water temp wiring crossed. Or if the water temp sensor is open, the infinite resistance signal to the CPU tells it that the car is at sub-zero temp and sends in maximum richness/huge fuel dump into the engine. If this were the case, but you were snugging up the AFM flap spring to compensate, then you'll need to work backwards and undo that adjustment. DAW

DAW i know i got the wires right for the temp sensor and i know the sensor is good i checked all that.I've tried everything to get it to work and no good i'll just have to wait for the ecu to come in and try that.I got it to my house today drove it about a mile and it hauls a$$ but i found why it's doggy in the upper gears the dang front brake on the driver's side is draggin for some reason so i have to fix that too.But it does go pretty good i'm impressed but i know it won't keep me happy for long in comes the turbo rockon.gif