HybridZ

New AEM ECU docs

BLKMGK

Been reading the docs on this sucker. All I can say is WOW ! This puppy is going to ROCK! A bit complicated but it's got lots of nice features. My price for th eSupra unit was $1200 but expect race units to be higher because they will have a harness on them. Depending upon how it works on the Supra this is probably the ECU I'll put on the Z. Features like dual O2s that can be assigned cylinders for per cylinder fueling, dual knock sensors for per cylinder (or bank?) retard, TONS of spare I/Os, programmable trigger levels for "Check Engine" lites, and dual rev limiters - fuel AND spark! The Automapping is way cool. You get to choose how many data samples the ECU must see for a particular map cell before it's allowed to evaluate it for a change, you get to decide the minimum amount that it must change before a change is allowed, AND you get to decide the max amount of change allowed. Wow! Ability to run a stepper motor to control boost, ability to run NOS solenoids, ability to customize "dashboard" settings for monitoring sensors on a laptop, and internal datalogging trigger from an external switch or just logging all the time overwriting itself. I think you can datalog based upon a trigger value from a sensor too smile.gif

Still reading but so far so good. Unfortunatly I've NOT got the hardware in my hot little hands yet. I DID get a MASSIVE Greddy FMIC today though. 4row and damned BIG. Hrm, maybe I'll see if it will fit in the nose of a Z? Not cheap but supposedly worth 30RWHP on a BPU Supra and a MUST for running a big single. Figuring out fueling right now - darned Jap injectors are NOT cheap. Anyone got a source that can help me out? Stony, you're not in Japan right now right? Still got any sources? I'm looking at $160 per injector for 850cc side feed units right now. Ouch! cry2.gif

850cc/min!!!! Man have you already gone big single? Thought you had a lot of other things that you'd have to do before you started going that large..

Cool to hear about the AEM deal. The Wolf3D is made by AEM, but doesn't have multiple O2 or support for knock sensors, but I think it is more flexable. I will have to compare stats on the two.

What clutch are you using? Do you plan on going with a big single turbo? If so what exhaust manifold, and what size turbo, and what size waste gate? What size are the stock injectors? I'd think that 550cc/min with an adjustable fpr would get you pretty far, probably good enough for the stock twin setup.

Whelp, think I found a job today, so I'll be putting money away for a single T4 for my 7m-gte. Not sure if my TRD clutch will hold long with it though, which is sad since its bran new. Still have a couple other things to do first, like finish up the CV swap, swap in a LSD, and larger brakes. A intercooler for the `73 w/L24ET would be nice too.

If I were you I'd be dumping all that $$$ into that light Z car.. The supra is just way too heavy, and I know you want to see 10's :D

Read the specs on this sucker - it's as flexible as a Motec. Seriously, when was th elast time you saw an EFI software package who's datalogging software had a math library?! I can create my own data streams. Say I plug in the front and rear ABS sensors on one side, I can create a math function to log wheel spin hail.gif I can do the same for clutch slip or anything else if I want to. Still reading but man this thing is incredibly flexible! It's capable of running a 10cylinder engine, if you don't need that many injectors you can turn the drivers off and use those outputs for anything you want! You program the ranges for the inputs so if I can get the tech data I'll be able to datalog fuel pressure, oil pressure, inlet temps before and after the ntercooler - you name it! Lots of spare I/Os both digital and analog. It does internal datalogging up to one megabyte. Cost for me was $1200 which is about what ONE of those silly alphabet soup piggyback things would've cost :eek: IF this thing works well I WILL put one in my Z to run the V8.

As for injector size - no one is making a smaller side feed injector for this car that I can find. I'm shooting for 500RWHP and maybe as much as 600 at the crank. Depending upon who's calcs you use the 850 (820?) injectors from Blitz are about right at 80% duty cycle. Yeah, I could run the stockers for awhile and jack the fuel pressure up but changing the rail and injectors is supposed to be a PITA. Might as well go to the larger injectors and turn them down until I go single. These are peakhold inkectors so I ought to be able to get VERY good resolution from them. I'm HOPING to find someone overseas who might be able to source them for me for less, I dunno. Blitz 31249 is what they are - I'll need six of them.

I've got a nasty Carbon something or other clutch in it now - it's a lightswitch. It's got some chatter but I'm told it will get better as it wears in. It'll hold th epower I'm sure, if not I'll go with a lightweight flywheel and killer clutch.

A big single IS in the forecast sometime this Summer I hope. I've found someone local who's done the job and he'll be doing my intercooler too. Pulling the stock turbos off is a 100% PITA that I do NOT wish to "enjoy". He's experienced with the intercooler too and is charging me something like $200 so I'm more than happy to let him do it - will give me some idea as to his work before I do the single too. His car looks great but hasn't been dynoed - we're expecting 500RWHP on pump gas if not more - we'll see. He's got fuel and a FMIC with alphabet soup add-ons so who knows, could be 550 if he's lucky. Race gas allows lots more boost - sick amounts of power.

P.S. 10s would be interesting but I'm not really that interested in numbers. I think the Z is a fun car and a great toy but I don't want to turn it into a race car. Something I can drive anytime I want without fear would be great and until I've done the CVs I cannot do that. Out of ANY car I've EVER owned this Z has ridden on more flatbeds than all previus COMBINED! CVs, an alignment, EFI, and then I'll see what to do next. I'd LOVE some CF stuff like door panels coollook.gif Once it's got CVs and is reliable I'll consider taking it to the track but not till then. Alignment is a BIG must righ tnow - 85mph is scary :(