HybridZ

Quick fuel line question

Guest Anonymous

well i have the same pump but a paxton reg. -6 right off the rail will be fine. i ran -10 feed and -6 return.

let me know what you think of the pump. my brother in-law and i bought them at the same time. we would like nothing more than to smash the things over someones head :mad: there is NO excuse for the amount of noise the piece of **** makes!!! even when running straight pipe i can hear the damn thing.

Guest Anonymous

Hah, I was afraid of that. Luckily pumps aren't all that expensive. I got these real cheap, I was thinking this monster would be real noisy.. I might end up swapping it for a walbro 255lph hp or accel pump. Is it possible to put sound deadening material to insulate it without trapping heat? I suppose a 1100hp pump aughta make a little noise. I don't mind moderate noise but if its really annoying I might swap. My friends t-rex in his z28 is pretty loud, but inaudible when he slams WOT through flowmasters and 2 12" subs kicking in the back :eek:

When cruising, I asked him why the heck his pump made so much damn noise, he asked what I meant, then he said "oh.. yeah, I guess I'm used to it by now." So.. painful for passengers, we just have to get used to it.

I just sent in my order to summit.. 260 bucks worth of stuff!

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey all,

Here's the situation, I just got a paxton 1100 hp fuel pump ( :eek: !), w/ matching filter, and a kenne bell adjustable fpr. I already have my fuel rail made w/ 460cc injectors, tapped 3/8" for AN fittings. Now the paxton pump and filter have -10 flares on them, and the instructions specify NOT to use any lines under 1/2" (limits me to -10), now on the return line, I'm obviously gonna have to run smaller lines, not because its return but because of the kenne bell fpr. It has what I THINK -6 (flare ID 9/32", OD ~1/2", size of tightening nut for AN wrench is 13/16", perhaps somebody can verify this for me) So is it okay for me to run -6 right out of the other side of the fuel rail, or will that mess up the pressure/flow/volume? Obviously fuel has hit the 6 injectors at correct pressure but not yet the fpr. I wouldn't think twice if it were -8 AN, but -6 is considerably smaller than -10. The flare on the fpr can actually fit inside the that of the pump. Then should I run -6 the rest of the return line? Or my other option is using AN reducers before/after the regulator only. Somebody plese help me out.

Thanks

-980mak rockon.gif

Unless you are planning to make the kind of HP the pump is supposedly rated for, -10 feed is totally unnecessary. FYI, I am running -8 feed and the original 240Z feed as my return. I do a -6 off the FRP and connect it to the Datsun feed with a tube nut, then -6 again into the fuel cell. Best buy on the market for a in-line pump is probably the Walbro GS392 rated at 225lph. I am in the 430-440rwhp range and do not plan on changing it if I add more HP.

scottie, i know what you mean but, why not go -10 since the pump has it? my thinking was

1. you can never overkill a fuel system on a turbo car.

2. i will never have to upgrade the system later if i make changes to the motor.

anyway that was my thought process.

Not saying not to use it, just saying if you plan on making up to 550+hp, it is not required.

the instructions specify NOT to use any lines under 1/2" (limits me to -10),
To clear up any confusion, -10 = 5/8" and -8 = 1/2". Also noted you said the fuel rail is tapped for 3/8" (-6), so you need to address that.

You are correct for questioning this as it is somewhat confusing. I hope I can help clarify it a little. -AN (Army/Navy) is a standard developed to match metal tubing. The numbers are 16ths of an inch which is why it is commonly equated to 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, etc. Rubber hosing was designed to fit snugly over a metal hose, IOW, a 3/8 rubber hose will fit snugly over a 3/8 metal line. That means a 3/8 rubber hose and metal line are not the same size :confused:

The sizes Aeroquip is referring to are the id of the AN hoses. The confusion lies in what you are comparing that to. If it is being compared to a metal line, which just about what all cars are built with, then the sizes are equivalent. If it is being compared to a rubber hose, then......

Since just about all cars came with metal lines, I think it is correct to use the AN equivalent. Crap, I probably just made it worse :D:D