HybridZ

ECU help

awd92gsx

OK, I got a hold of a FSM and figured out the wires I need...but...

For some reason I can't seem to get the SAFC to read the engine speed correctly...I have two theories on this...

1) The used SAFC I have could be defective...or..

2) I'm wondering if perhaps the stock tach may be interfering somehow with the SAFC reading...???

Maybe later I'll go out and look at it some more...of course, any suggestions are appreciated...

I'm currently plugged into the engine rpm wire at the ECU....

Would taking the RPM from the - side of the coil, or trigger be any different than from the computer?

The deal I'm building is a SAFC and it will work for the 300zx setup, but I'm not taking in very much data, just info from the MAF.

I donno if it matters, but the TPS is a points type and not a linear potentia meter type like some SAFC's and other similars may require. By points I mean a connection is made with the center pin and an outer pin at idle, then at WOT the other outer pin is shorted with the middle pin. The 280zxt only has 2 TPS wires, to let the computer know the car is at idle, or not, that's it!

Anyways, my project is getting closer to being done. I have one chip that can't deal with the under the hood temps, so I guess I'll have to use long wires and bring it inside the cabin. I have about 150 physical adjustable load points.

So the SAFC doesn't have a harness plug of any sort? You have to just tap into the wires you need? That sounds kinda messy. I hope to make everything just plug right in, except for +12v and Gnd.

Let me know how it goes, and I'd like to know where you find adjustment is needed. Are you trying to get it working so that you can use larger injectors? If so what size. Do you expect to get the car on a dyno to get it tuned well, or just going by its data logger? Does it have a data logger? How about an interface to a computer?

I tried taking it directly from the negative side of the coil, hoping that would help, but unfortunately it doesn't act any different...Somebody suggested that the distributor may be outputting a "dirty" signal? I dunno...is there anything special that needs to be done to run an aftermarket tach?

I'm wondering if perhaps the SAFC just isn't compatible with the 280Z distributor...I wonder if it will be compatible with the 280ZXT distributor...???

Unfortunately, there is no harness that taps into the factory harness anywhere...

Basically, it just comes with splice connectors and you have to cut the MAF wire in half and connect each side to the SAFC...

I, unfortunately, have already discovered the TPS issue...I thought they were a potentiometer type, but, like you said, it's just basically an on/off switch...which, could still be useful for something I'm sure...

I have larger injectors in already, but I'm not 100% sure what size they are...so, I'm trying to use the SAFC to tune them a little better than I'm currently able to with my adjustable FPR...

I'm pretty sure the 280z tach is pretty standard and the line that drives the tach wouldn't have any different output than the one coming out of a MSD system.

You should find out what kind of signal the system requires. Call the company maybe? If the signal comming from the 280z is not compatable maybe I can work on something to make it work for you, but I would need to know exactly what the SAFC is expecting like the pulse width duration, and voltage levels.

I have a 280z tach in my 240. When I had my MSD, I plugged in directly to the tach port (what ever ou want to call it :D ). I also tried connected to the negative side of the coil. Regardless which of the two I plugged it in it worked the

fine.