HybridZ

Trying to figure out how to make Z31 VSS work on 240ZT w/Z31

Guest Ian turbo240

Guest Ian turbo240

Well, I've converted to the Z31 fuel injection system, and I'd like the VSS hooked up so that the MAS burn off cycle will work correctly. I went to the junkyard today and blew $40 on a 300ZX instrument cluster and disected it. The VSS is a really simple thing. All it is is a magnetic switch that is mounted near the speedo magnet. As the magnet passes by on its revolution, it turns the switch on/off. The switch is cycled twice per revolution of the speedo cable. Anyway, I tried to mate the 300ZX guts to the stock 240Z speedo without success. Now I'm considering using the digital dash VSS and converting to a digital speedo. I saw one in Summit made by Nordskog. The problem is that I don't know if the Nordskog speedo will interface with the 300ZX digital dash VSS. I think I'm gonna call Nordskog and find out what kind of triggering device is required before I spend $129.95 on the gauge. Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Ian

BTW, I dissected a 280ZXT speedo in the junkyard, and decided that it wouldn't work either.

Guest Ian turbo240

I'm using an '85 computer and '84 wiring harness. That was what was available in the junkyard at the time. I checked over the wiring diagrams to make sure that they were the same.

Ian

There's a much more simple solution to this and I can build you a little circuit that will handle it if you are interested for cheap.

It won't require a certain amount of rpm or mph to be reached, but in most cases it's not necessary to check those things. If you'd like I can start working on something and I promise I can get something less than $20 made up for ya that will be easy to wire in.

mafheated2.jpg