HybridZ

evil evil carb

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

im not sure the name for this piece but its the little nozzle you can see inside the carb after you were to remove the air filter and cover. this nozzle on my front carb will not stop shooting gas out. ive taken the carb off twice to lubricate the float, ive checked both gas lines to both carbs to make sure the fuel rail isnt plugged up, i dont know enough to determine what else it might be so if you could please share your opinions i would be most appriciative, thanks

Guest Anonymous

the fuel pump is manual and its new, and id have no idea what to look for if i were to open the carb up. all ive done the past two times is try to lubricate everything. i thought about the pressure aspect of it also, when i first put on the new pump it didnt come with the spacer but when i finally tracked down the spacer it hasnt made a differance. perhaps ill put the old pump back on and see if it stops it. either way thanks for the advice.

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure it'll help if its a manual pump, it probably isn't putting out enough pressure to cause the problem I was talking about. What carb is it? If you've seen the float while oiling it (which isn't required really, I think the gas will eat the lube anyway) there is usually just a small brass valve connected to it, it lifts a needle off the seat when the flow bowl is low, as it fills with gas it raises closing off the seat. That little brass valve is the float valve and there is a spec as to where it must be adjusted as well.

Adjustments depending on carb can be either a screw you turn up or down like on a Holley 4 bbl or sometimes its just a matter of bending the little metal tang on the float that connects to the float valve thus changing its height and when it opens and closes.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: When did this start? After you replaced the fuel pump? It still sounds like junk in that float valve to me, but its hard to diagnose without seeing what its doing exactly.

Guest Anonymous

A few I could think of, 1) possibly to much fuel pressure, (what pump are you using? electric?) and its just forcing the float valve open and forcing to much fuel in the float bowl.

Or 2) Crude in the float valve not allowing it to shut right. 3) Improperly adjusted float valve.

Either way, I'd DEFINITELY drain my oil and put in new. Theres a good chance your oil has been diluted pretty good with gas, no use taking chances with thinned out oil. Good luck.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

its the su carbs but with the flat top, not the rounded edges like ive also seen in the haynes manual (240z i think) if memory serves me i replaced the fuel pump and the ignition coil to get it to start, i burnt the old gas out that night, it only took half an hour and there was a small spray, then i put new gas in and its been heavy ever since. they haynes manual said something about bending the flange but they speak car talk which im not yet fluent in. im probably just going to buy a remanufactured on from N.O.W. (nissan only wreckers) hopefully no one has heard bad things about there parts/service. oh and btw, i changed the pumps and youre right, no differance.

Guest bastaad525

Not sure how old of fuel you're talking about there, but I had a serious problem after trying to start a car that had been sitting for over 13 years. Even though we drained the fuel tank, there was enough old fuel left in the system (which if you don't know turns into very sticky, gummy varnish) to cause all kinds of problems. I started having problems with sticking vavles, and the float 'needles', which in my case had been replaced by Ztherapy ball bearing type grose jets, kept getting stuck, both open (flooding like you're talking about) or closed (float would just run dry and kill the car). I ended up having to clean out the whole system with berrymens fuel system cleaner and marvel mystery oil in the crankcase. A real pain in the arse.... oh and by the way I second the sentiment, get rid of the flat tops they seem to have nothing but problems.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the tip guys, ill be sure to do that if i dont purchase a 77 280 i found today. in any case, what year z do the round tops come from because id have to fill it in on the inquiry form and are they an easy change over/direct fit?