HybridZ

Need help with rich running triple Mikunis

Moridin

I'm pretty sure they are 40mm, I will check again tomorrow morning. Basically, I'm an idiot when it comes to carbs. Well, then again, I'm an idiot when it comes to cars too. I'm learning though. That's what this forum is all about. Anyways, I'm pretty sure the car is running extremely rich. Bogs really bad at low RPMs at low speed. It was like this before I put new air filters on. I may not have helped it, because I took the air horns off to put the K&N setup on. I may try to find some shorter horns. I would like to develop a ram air intake, but that is for another time. Anyways, I just had the head completely redone, so nothing should be wrong in the valve department. The exhaust is slighty black and exceptionally cool, but it also has a greasy/liquidy feeling to it when you put your hand behind it. From what I've read on a few other boards, these are conditions for a rich running car.

Now, the real question, if its running really rich I'm going to have to rejet the carb then, right? I was thinking of taking it to Rebello, because I don't have that much time (I want to have the car ready to take to LA on a trip in a few weeks, but I can't live with the car eating up this much gas. Can't afford it either). I would like to go down to the drag strip and make a bunch of passes, but I don't have the money for a ton of sets of jets. Now, this is where the idiot part comes in. Are there only one set of jets involved with fuel, or are there mains, secondaries, etc...? I'm probably one of the few to ever say that fuel injection is easier for me to understand. Now, I have a 73 240Z with what I believe to be the orginal L24 (Is there any way to check on this?) It does have the original head (N42? I don't know all the casting numbers yet. Guy from Rebello said it looked to be a late 72/73 head. Anyways, I am also running headers and a larger exhaust. Not sure about what the current jets are (Any way to check that?). What goes with installing new jets if that's the problem? Do you have to take apart the whole carb? Sorry if this seems elementary to you gurus. I'm trying to learn though. Oh, when circuits come up in reference to a carb, what does that mean? Is that the system in which the fuel travels, or other systems?

Basically, the questions that may be somewhat hidden in the earlier parts of my post are:

1) Is it running rich? I'm pretty sure of it.

2) What jets should I run with L24? What if it is an L28?

3) How much does a whole new set of jets cost?

4) Will I have to buy more than a few sets?

Thanks a lot,

Ryan

I really appreciate everyone putting up with all my crap. I know a lot of it must be simple to most you, so I understand if you get frustrated. Anyways, thanks for all the kindness so far.