HybridZ

way to high idle!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok i took off my max air flow meter and my air box b/c i got sum stuff to make an intake and was jsut lining thisgs up... i puter the meter and box all back 2gether and now it idles way way to high! i checked for leaks and every thing i cant finde whats the deal... any ideas??

thanx

Guest comeandzpa

77KZA, my 81 N/A has been having the same problem... it idles at about 1600, and stock is 700. I have read that it is easy to just adjust the idle spring, and that should solve the problem. The procedure for doing so can be found in the Haynes manual. The high idle may also result in poor gas milage, as is the case in my car. (at least I HOPE that that is the problem.....)

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like your BCDD is stuck open. Its something that datsun used to reduce emissions. It basically allows air to bypass the throttle body to burn all the fuel that's in the engine when you let off and begin to decellerate. There's a connection to the spedometer that doesn't allow it to work under 10 mph, but when things start sticking, you get a 2k rpm idle or so. I just filled mine with body putty and was done with it. You should notice a tube going from the front (atmospheric side) of the throttle body (on the underside) to the "idle adjust screw", which probably doesn't adjust anymore. I took the hose of on the bottom side of the idle screw, filled it with body putty, then drilled a small hole through the putty with a long drill bit to get my idle adjustment back. Replaced the tube, and it worked like a charm... BTW, this was an 81 N/A, so YMMV. I would send pics, but I got a 350 in there now...

Bill