HybridZ

R200 questions. Best ratio for SBC w/ 5spd?

Guest Anonymous

Lone Star, your diff (Dave's old one) has the rare OEM 3.36 10mm gears from a late 70's Z and a brute force (or power brute? can't recall exact name) clutch posi centresection.

I can't say for sure what your slower 60' was due to, whether gears played a part or not. The two times I ran the 1320 I cut 2.0's with my A032R's, and a 1200 stall OEM type TC, and some wheelspin, I likely had 100 less rwhp and tq at the time than yourself so I doubt it's gears alone as I'd expect a lot more line grunt from your setup (and all the way thru, not just at the line). Perhaps you were holding back a bit on the throttle? It was actually an LS1 friend with an auto I was lined up against and we were dead even the whole way, it was a blast even though it was a casual run:) My power was down with only 30 degrees total timing due to some funky dizzy weights/springs I was modifying. We tripped it at 14.0 right around a 100 AIR.

My 3.7 rear has me doing 3000 at 80mph AIR and cruising higher speeds the rpm's don't bother me at all, a smooth engine in overdrive shouldn't be too annoying. Running for a few stretches at 4500-5000+ rpm down thru southern Oregon to Willows it was very sweet near 120mph. When you're at higher rpm's and right in power band such that every twitch of your toe puts a power shake thru the car that is annoying. With my setup I haven't found that to occur. If I put it in 3rd though to see what higher rpm's sound like etc I do find the twitchiness annoying if left their at all. The TC certainly takes some 'twitch' out of it which is nice in that scenario IMO. (mine's still unlocked...haven't gotten to locking it :rolleyes: )

What's 'nice' about 2200? Is it the mpg or smoothness or quiet of the exhaust. Depending which it is the alternatives vary....My planning used to be more focused on minimum rpm's etc (hence the 3.15's and 3.36's I have stored away) but my experiences and one diehard chevy small and big block enthusiastfriend with a few oldschool muscle cars who rarely runs overdrive trans and sticks to steep rear gears running high rpm's on highway who enjoys power non-stop and isn't grenading motors has changed my viewpoint. His mpg isn't that bad and that's without any overdrive. He properly builds his own motors so they're smooth and he enjoys pointing out cost benefit for overdrive vs. non in tranny cost and even if one does go with an overdrive the time it takes to recoup mpg savings at the pump if you go with lesser gears instead of the optimal for best performance with your setup. (he's a little set in his viewpoint, I enjoy 'em all) I'm babbling now I guess......nite.

Guest Anonymous

I agree, I'd love to spin the tires in 4th and 5th by just standing on it. Now thats torque.. :D

And yeah, I'm a willing member in the TAA for sure. smile.gif

I also agree, the board is known for good reason for not getting into pissing contest, I sometimes reply when I'd be better off letting it lie, but you know my emotion for the topic usually gets in the way of good sense, although I do try and understand a person's viewpoint, I think thats the best part of Hybrid, being able to not always agree, but not letting it get personal, its few and far between on alot of sites to get that sort of feeling to the forum.

I guess thats why we keep coming back, good vibes, good people and fast cars, not much to dislike about that.... :D

Regards,

Lone

My car with the LS1, 300 RWHP and 310 RWTQ will smoke the street tires all the way thru second. This with a 3.36 LSD rear and a 4L60E auto tranny. At the drag strip with BFG DR's their was no tire spin that I could notice, however I was only able to run a 1.96 60 ft. That was leaving the line at about 1200 RPM stall. I have ordered a Yank SY 3500 stall convertor that has a 1.6 : 1 tork ratio. I'm hopeing to be able to run a 1.60 60 ft time with this setup. My friend thinks I should go to a 3.7 rear end, but I like driving down the Hwy at 70 and turing 2200 RPMs. What do you guys think? I see several cars in Andrew's 1/4 times with better 60 ft times and slower 1/4 mile times.