HybridZ

Aluminum flip top gas cap on E Bay #1854161748

Guest Anonymous

You CAN use a Jag gas cap--

I just saw a picture got GTO 3223 GT that has what looks liks a Jaguar flip gas cap on the LH side, mostly flush-mounted to the fender. Looks nice from the back, but another point of view would be nice to confirm things.

Now, Just need to find out who made the exhaust tips....

Guest Anonymous

Tom , I made a mold for my recessed Jaguar gas cap by shaping a small piece of a wooden 2x4 for the buck and then layed fiberglass cloth and resin on all sides but the top. Of course the wooden piece had a slight taper so the fiberglass piece for the recess portion could be removed. I cut a hole in the Tomahawk fender and bonded in the recess. I used a piece of adapter exhaust pipe to connect on the the Jaguar cast gas pipe unit below the flip top cap..There was a Jag cap recently on E Bay (gas filler listing instead of gas cap) that seperated the cap and the lower unit trying to get more money by offering the two piece unit as two seperate auction items. I actually took the exhaust adapter pipe and Jaguar cap to a muffler shop and had them slightly stretch the larger end of the exhaust adapter pipe to fit the Jag unit and used the smaller end of the adapter to place a rubber hose connecting to the Datsun filler pipe going to the gas tank. The jag cap fits the oval lines of the Tomahawk fender and no dobt should fit the GTO lines. Keep in mind that the "Le Mans" flip top cap is roumd and really does not flow in with any any thing. My GTO has a recessed hole for the Le Mans cap that came with the kit. I actully would prefer the Jag cap.The Vello Rossa has this funky fiberglass piece in the contour of the fender that is to be bonded on the trimmed down OEM datsun gas cap metal door.Look at Dan Juday's above photo and his recess for the Le Mans cap looks somewhat oval and could accept a Jag cap.

I have the Rhino kit. It was very basic- didn't even get the rear inner-well pieces. The instructions tell you to cut the inner well into strips, then weld together and fiberglass over top to form the widened wheel well. No Gas nap, no headlight covers, no chrome things or lamps, just the front, back, hood & door skins. Didn't even get a finished copy of the assembly manual. :(

A good point is that the pieces looked to be quality layups.

I think I will go with the round cap-after I win the lottery :D

Hey, doesn't the Viper have a monza-style gas cap?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the jag gas cap serviceable? I mean if the seal is worn, can you put in a new seal? It wouldn't be worth much if all the gas evaporated, or if the tank couldn't be pressurized. I found another on Ebay- just posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1860489317

It has no key though. Maybe you can get one made up? I know a locksmith that is pretty good.

BTW, can you pressure-check the flip-top gas caps like, for an emmissions check? Just wondering.

Guest Anonymous

From , what I have seen it appears that the entire Jag cap will dis-assemble. The rubber gasket appears replaceable and one a person could fabricate. The auction picture is not that good and $20 starting bid is a lttle high.The one I bought for Nate totaled out at $15.00 and is presentable but not show material. Call around locally and see what is available . These Jag caps are turning up on a regular basis on E Bay. Tom.. are you interested in the Corvette hood hinges that came with my Blue Ray/Stable Works GTO??? $20.00 plus shipping

Due to the firewall here at work I am unable to view the second link (uk). But the first one is attached by the six "torx" screws in the outside framing around the hinged door. These screws go through the bodywork, and have small nuts on the back side. If this is a product that I think it is, it is not aluminum, but rather a plated finish on top of a heavier cast (and textured or "brushed") base. It fits over the OEM gas cap, so it is only the outside door or cover.

Guest Anonymous

There is a pair of light weight and compact scissor hinges that came on the trunk of (1980's) Nissan Sentras. This unique hinge is what operates the Tomahawk hood. Nate and I have been working the last two afternoons adapting this type of trunk hinge to his 250 GTO hood. We hope to have all the bugs ironed out tomorrow. The hinge was spring loaded but the flat coil wound spring was removed plus other modifications.Hopefully we can take some pictures of the installed Jag cap and Sentra scissor (trunk) hood hinges and get a few of these modifications posted with Wag Z's help.The McBurnie GTO front clip has no mounting provisions for the Corvette hinge like the Stable Works GTO. We gave up trying to place the pivot point on the McBurnie hood for the Corvette hinges and opted for the Nissan hinge which due to the scissor action has a wider mounting location and almost locates it self.Just enough room underneath the hood in the frontal engine bay to house the hinge. The biggest problem has been to bond onto the hood a mounting plate with bolts to connect to the hinge.