HybridZ

My VR arrives tomorrow

boatbum

Morning,

My VR kit arrives tomorrow (with my '78 280z) and I thought I would just introduce myself.

I have restored alot of boats but never a car so it should be a 'fun' winter project. In any case, I am sure I will be bugging you with some seemingly stupid questions and I hope I can contribute.

Any other Hybrid Z's up here in the Minnesota or Wisconsin area?

I can't tell ;)

It was bought before they closed their doors and I bought a Z from John Washington and he is delivering it up to MN for me.

I know of a kit that is mostly mounted on a clean Z in AZ if you want the info. He actually owns a Z parts company and doesn't have time to finish it. I think he is looking for around $7K for the kit and the Z.

Email me at teo@boatblender.com if you want his info.

Guest Anonymous

Mark, A little over 2 hours (about 130 to PDX) Look forward to seeing you.Will have a lot to show you on the Tomahawk, Vello Rossa, Blue Ray/Stable Auto Works, Origin convertible kits and Nate will bring out the V8 Zee. Where else can you see all these kits this far North of Knotts Berry Farm Plus one crappy McBurnie front clip. Watch it on the Linn/Lane County line, the local sheriff likes to pick up revenue on the south side of the line just a few feet south of the Lane County sign. He does not want to offend any Lane County voters for re-election

Teo - Welcome. The VR will be an adventure for all of us!

TeeZee - I just got back from a trip to Mississippi and Tennessee last night. I'm tentatively planning on driving your direction on Sunday. I just hafta clear it with the boss. :rolleyes:

If she doesn't have a list of honey do's, I'm heading your way. I'm guessing it's about a 2 hr. drive from PDX to Fall Creek. Does that sound about right?

Teo,

First off, I gota say that your little invention is pretty cool! Checked out your website, great t-shirts :D . So... ah, any discounts for the fellow hybridz guy? :D

I'm near Milwaukee, but there are a few guys in your area that I can put you in contact with if you would like. I'm always willing to lend a hand, and I don't mind driving. If you ever need help, let me know, I might be able to give you a hand. I would like to check out your car when it's done though.

!M!

Thanks guys - I am proud of the blender - never thought it would be a business! cheers.gif

Always happy to give a nice discount to any of the HybridZ gang. I have gotten quite a bit of useful tips already.

Mat, I would definitely like to know some fellow Z'ers up here and may take you up on the hand offering. I am new to this car stuff but willing to try anything.

Also - if anyone knows anybody who needs some body parts from my rust free '78 they are welcome to them. I will be taking off the hood, front fenders, both bumpers, and hatch. The car is Arizona faded red and has some dings but no rust anywhere. The body parts will just be in the way so I am happy to just give them to anyone who wants to help with their removal.

With luck the project will be ready to drive in the spring smile.gif

Guest nezzie76

Hey congrats on the new addition to the family and welcome to the forum! Please let us know what questions you have and we'll be glad to help.

Hey teezee, do you realize that we basically have a z show every sunday at your place? Maybe we should have people over more often... tongue.gif

Guest Anonymous

LOL..A little humor here. No one really knows what a Vello Rossa is much less a 250 GTO. Not many know what a first generation Z is. Nate was driving around his Vello Rossa with the the warped McBurnie front clip and for a better graphic description "ghetto Porsche" was coined. Lone complained of a Tomahawk with a wide stripe on E Bay and Owen said it looked like a "fat boy with a thong on".I would not get rid of those Porsches right away unless you have a warped McBurnie front end and an unfinished "Fat Boy".

Thanks for the clarification!

I just stopped by the guy who did a bunch of restoration work on the '64 speedster years ago and he cracked up when I told him what I was doing. He will only work on old porsches now and I figured he would laugh me out of his shop.

Seems he built a GTO on a z for a customer in California about 10 years ago. On top of that he used to build custom Z's. Now if only I can talk him into helping me with the project without him charging me his $80/hr shop rate smile.gif

I think I might just have a little fun here in HybridZ land. It is not as stuffy as a few other forums around here.

2thumbs.gif

Teo

Guest nezzie76

Teo,

A word of advice. Plan out all the things that you will be doing with the car before you do them. I cut up my back end for tail lights, then I didn't like that so I changed it and cut out more, and now I don't like it again and so I have to fill the whole thing back in.

If you have the VR installation manual use it. It has alot of useful stuff, but it leaves alot of stuff out too.

Welcome to the world of the velorossa, and hopefully people won't think yours is a ghetto porcshe too.

Oh, did anybody get that stainless steel Velorossa badge that I see stuck on the back of alot of VRs? I didn't get one and I think they're cool looking

Hey Theo, while you are building can you take a lot of pictures? I also bought the kit before they closed the doors but not quite ready to start yet. The photos is the book are a little hard to decipher so any clearer pictures would be greatly appreciated. I plan on doing the hard top version so I am not to concerned about roof removal or extra frame supports. If you can email me all the digital pictures you can take to 280Zone@cox.net

Thanks

and good luck

Guest Anonymous

Teo and 280 Zone .. Speed Racer posted a thread in the Body Kit section awhile back asking every Hybrid member with a GTO kit to respond to the ongoing list of owners. If you have not listed your GTO's, would you please to do so

Nezzie,

Thanks for the heads up. I have read that manual about 100 times and still wonder on some things. John Washington actually delivered the kit and car so I had a chance to go over some of the details.

We have the car stripped and will be cutting the top off later this week and getting things welded. Then I will be bugging you guys for help on mounting the body.

I will check my sources and see if those Velo Rossa badges are still available.

Guest Anonymous

Teo,, you are right to wait until body, tire and wheel installation to lower. I found out that coilovers are the solution. We did Nate's VR with coilovers without sectioning and found the coilover 2 inch drop was not enough and then sectioned 2 inches out of the strut cartridges to get it to look right with a 4 inch drop.. I would not cut coils out of any conventional or lowering springs. 10 inch coilovers with 150# front and 170# rear on his. Good ride in a light L6 Z car