HybridZ

Fuel Vapor Canistor

boatbum

Ok - so probably doesn't belong here but you all have been great help.

Can I remove that fuel vapor canistor? Is there a smaller one available from another car? The current canistor takes alot of space in the trunk area now that the top is cut off.

Just trying to clean up the car and need all the space in that trunk for my golf clubs and my cordless drills :D

Also - if this should be posted somewhere else let me know.

Thanks,

Teo

Guest nezzie76

Yah Teezee and I were thinking about that. I think john washington said that you could trim the metal ring around it off and that it would make enough clearance.

We might just take the whole thing off. It really doesn't make much of a difference except look like a giant black kidney. Besides that ought to lighten the car a little more ( heh heh). All those rubber pipes going around are rather annoying too. :D

I removed mine - couple important things though. There were I think three hoses that connected to it. I also removed the canister up front and all the associated lines. This meant plugging two vacumn lines on the engine. At the back of the car there's five lines that come off the fuel tank. The Filler is one, then there's one to the fuel pump, and a return line, a small line that goes to the expansion tank, and finally a large one. You can eliminate all the lines to the expansion tank but there's one that I messed up on at first. You need to leave one of the two that come out of the top of the fuel tank(preferably the large one). It needs to run to the neck between the fuel tank and the filler. This is a vent that allows air to escape when you are filling the tank - without this I got sprayd with gas that came shooting out the fuel cap. oops.

On the plus side the car seemed to run better with all that removed.... which makes me think the system wasn't really working correctly anyway.

Good Luck,

Chelle