HybridZ

Another Ferrari 250 GTO for Sale

SpeedRacer

1. He doesn't have the radiator cap door in the hood or the vent on the back.

2. Ask him what he used for hood hinges.

3. Ask him how he adapted the pushbutton door handles.

4. He's got mirrors on both doors.

5. Paint is too nice.

6. raised box for shifter box is missing. Polished shift gate too.

7. I don't think they had CD stereos in the 60s.

8. that's not a 'red head' engine! ARRGH! Since when did Ferrari use chrome valve covers or air cleaners!?

Any questions? How did he fool the 'Pros' with that thing??

I sent some comments to that guy,I hope it was one of the Hybridz crowd:

Sir,

I think you went too far with the 250 GTO you had for sale in Kitcars.com. I can't believe you actually claim to have fooled the 'pros' with this one. Those guys mightrestore Ferraris, but they obviously don't know anything about a GTO:

There's no door for the radiator cap in the hood.

I'll bet there aren't any covers for the nose vents.

Missing perspex vent in the back window.

I bet those are power windows. Real GTOs had 2-piece SLINDING window panes.

Blue seats? I think not. They only have blue center panels.

Paint is WAY too shiny.

You got mirrors on both doors.

raised box for shifter is missing. Polished shift gate too.

that's not a 'red head' engine. Since when did Ferrari use chrome valve covers or air

cleaners? You could have at leave colored the valve covers & ointake manifold the

right color.

Could be more realistis with a crack or two in the nose.

Having build a bunch of trophy-winning streetrods myself, I know the value of not

making an "old" car look like it just popped off some assembly line & then a custom

paint shop. It's a nice effort at making something you can sell to a guy with way too

much money & ego, but I'd prefer a nice model A built by my 12-year-old nephews to

what you got.

Have a nice auction,

I forgot to suggest he take it to the local annual AutoRama and enter it in the 'overblown'

category.

He obviously spent a LOT of time & money, but if he really wanted to make one that's (real) he should have contracted with one of those few companies that would make one with a tube frame, hand-made sheet-metal, maybe even a Ferrari V-8 or V-12.I'm making mine with driveability in mind; for cuising with some style. I evewn think that to make it look the most realistic, you DON'T need to spend $50,000 .

If there's a reply, i'll post it too, OK?

TomoHawk - I think you might want to be a bit easy on the guy. Have you ever seen a real Ferrari 250 GTO in person?

I have fooled quite a few "car guys" with mine too. Yeah, if you really know your GTO's it's easy to tell but:

a) Most people have never seen a real one

B) They were all hand built and everyone was different

c) As racecars they were modified all the time

BTW, a few of the cars were built with roll up windows (S/N 3527 and 330 GTO S/N 4561. Some did not have a Perspex vent on the rear window (S/N 3527). The car was delivered from the factory without outside rear view mirror so the racing team could place them where they preferred. Most of the cars were delivered with completely blue seats (if you want to call them that). Yeah, hand hammered aluminum and then painted GTO’s were not very shiny when new but most of them sure are today!

An aluminum-skinned repo will cost you around $250,000 or more http://www.carclassic.com/html/FERRARI-250VINTAGE.htm#250GTO so I will give the guy credit for the extra effort spent to make it closer to the original than most, (including mine). Maybe I'm just jealous! frown.gif

PS - Don't assume that he opened the hood at the show.

Yeah, I'll give him credit for going overboard, but it would be better if he did all the customizing himself. He sounds like he's bragging about all the extra stuff & I bet it would be WAY less valuable to regular drivers without the gimmicks. There was no mention of him being able to prove the cars's appraisal with paperwork; maybe his just mentioning it would mean enough to most laypeople. I wouldn't buy a classic musclecar without the paperwork to proveit's (real.) And, I've never seen a real GTO, but I've seen some real 250s and I've studied many books & photos of real GTOs. enough to know how I would builds mine to look like a GTO made from a Datsun. You need to decide which side you want & then do it right. Thanks for the link to the carclassic web site.

About the mirrors- I thought they left off the driver's side mirror because you just look over your shoulder or in the rearview. Most pictures I've seen don't have a driver's side mirror. Driver's preference I figure, but required for American cars.

Guest Anonymous

An extreme amount of work in that Blue Ray/ Rhino body from its replical lines. Just about every body part changed. Actually, I would guess the car to be a "Puckett replica " considering the rear window treatment.The car is a lot different from my Blue Ray kit.

If ya got the bucks I think these guys would build you one http://www.finesportscar.com/

Or maybe you could talk Mark Smith over at Factory Five (yeah, the Cobra, etc. kit car guys) out of his http://www.factoryfive.com/table/company/tour/phototour/250gto.html

The story of the second set of factory GTO molds is fascinating but to long to go into here. :D

Guess I'll have to due a little butt kissing. I will be going up to see Mark Smith here in the near future. I've been contracted to build a ffr by a friend and I've got to pick the kit up soon. Retrived the donor yesterday from over top the mine where the nine miners were trapped.

Maybe Mark will let me see it. Love to know the wheelbase of his car,and the history of what it really is.

Should be moving my GTO back in this coming week. I'll be starting the frame. Oh yea, got my six webers.

There was a GTO Replica off a Datsun body in the Dallas Auto Trader this past week.

Picture appears the body, paint & Stickers have been completed. There were no comments as to the powertrain still in the car.

The owner listed an asking price of $6000.00; for that price it probably still has the Datsun powertrain....or no powertrain at all.

For the life of me I cant find my Auto Trader or I would give the phone number. Who knows, it may be a HybridZ member(?).

Anyone interested can probably do a search at the Auto Trader Online; for what I know-they, Auto Trader, post all their adds online.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)