HybridZ

welding wheel well opening

boatbum

Morning,

We got the reinforcement structure welded in yesterday for the Velo Rossa. Looks really good and stiffened the frame right up - I will post pics later on what we did. We actually used some seriously stout metal for the reinforcement (11 - 14 gauge) and welded plates on the sheet metal to distribute loads. He did a great job.

One question though. What are the options on opening up the wheel wells? I have every cut and tabbed back and we ground it clean - but we could not get the welder low enough to weld the sheet metal to sheet metal without burning through. Is it ok to rivet it and then when foaming the rear tub hold it additionally?

Comments and suggestions appreciated. My welder is awesome but we just could not get those tabs together.

Thanks,

Teo

Guest Anonymous

I am constantly on and off my wire welder's trigger to weld sheet metal. That way the metal does not heat up enuff for burn thru. Nothing wrong with rivits. Also make sure that foam is closed cell... Aircraft Spruce sells closed cell ( free catalog 1-877-477-7823 very informative reading ) The open cell foam retains water, which would make the Vello Rossa a sponge.

Filling the door handles? Hmmmm... are you planning on using the 'Pushbutton door handles'? Also, I think the Blue Ray assembly manual mentions using rivets. I like Larry's idea of using 2 per. How wide are your strips? I might also suggest brazing the strips on. The sheet metal should stand up to that. Maybe even (silver) solder? It need less heat.

BTW, I'm working on a wood mockup just to get pictures so some guys can see what it is- for those who couldn't get the mental picture from the drawings. But first, I got a midterm exam on Wed. I put school first, so I can one day afford a place to put my GTO. Remember Detective Dan Tana (Robert Urich)? I forget the name of his TV show ( some detective in Las Vegas) but he parked his T-Bird on the carpet in his living room.

Tom,

Actually the show was Vegas and the parking spot in his apartment in back of the Desert Inn was tiled but the rest of the apartment was carpeted :D (I just have about 10-12 years on you)

I decided this weekend that the Z door handles are toast. I will probably do the tab style handles but might also do a solenoid shave kit.

All I know is that those holes are getting filled and I will be doing my first fiberglass next week - this week I am heading to Florida for a little boating. Trying to spend 2 weeks on the car and 1 weekend sailing just to mix it up smile.gif

Any GTO builder in Lauderdale or Miami - I buy the drinks if I can see your car burnout.gif

I do want to see those pics when you get those parts done.

Thanks and have an awesome week!

Teo

TeeZee,

Thanks! I ended up riveting them this morning. It looks pretty good. I also mounted the cheek panels/front fenders.

The rear tub fits pretty well and I have set it temporarily with a few sheet metal screws. Looks like the new project is some glass work on the tub to fill the fuel door opening and to fill the door handle holes on the door skins.

It is coming along. burnout.gif

Thanks again!

cheers.gif

Teo

What wire are you using? It had better be .023 - .030 will carry/allow too much current.

Try a little more stickout and if that isn't enough go to positive polarity also.

Do at most 1 inch and then skip ~4-6 inches then when finished w/fist pass keep making more 'till filled in.

Guest JAMIE T

LOL, Brad-Man has learned something in the welding school. Good job paying attention in class. I'm not being sarcastic. I like to hear guys who have gone to welding school. I learned how to weld "on the job". Yes, I learned some bad habits from the old timers, but they also showed me stuff only experiance can teach. I MIG weld aluminum, and it looks like TIG. No spatter at all. Just a smooth hum. BTW, my welder at work is a Millermatic 250. My personal welder is a Millermatic 135.

Guest Anonymous

Jamie... I have a Craftsman wire welder and I have to re-learn to weld every time I flip the switch. and some time I am getting lessons all day on a 20 minute duty cycle. Wish I had that Miller fellow to help me.