HybridZ

Triumph TR7 convertible top for Vello Rossa or Datsun conver

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Any one mount a TR7 convertible top to a Vello Rossa or topless Z ? Nezzie 76 landed a TR 7 (top bows) but it looks like the windshield header is a "nofit" for the Vello Rossa windshield cap without modifications. The rear mounts appear too wide ( 2 inches on each side) for the Vello Rossa body without modifications to the fiberglass. It appears the top is wide and long enough. We are trying to get a Z Therapy Video now.

TZ I believe Mike SCCA up here in the Great White North has one on his convert. If memory serves me right ??? The bows had to be bent/reformed but was close enough to make work. This is just a half baked memory I am grasping at though. I need this info as well so I can find the donor roof for my vert. burnout.gif

Guest Anonymous
web page Go to Z Therapy and select videos. Looks like they are about out of the Datsun convertible business but still offer an all steel how to fabrication video which incorporates the TR7 top. (SEZ the TR7 can be adapted to the Vello Rossa . We are trying to source a Z Therapy video locally. May have a spare copy or two

Being a wear item, I was hoping a Miata top would work - due to availability.

I'm sure that there are 100 Miata tops replaced for every TR-7 these days.

I got a sample swatch from Caribou canvas, they make (or re-sell) nice canvas replacements for a few models of Healeys, Triumphs, FIATs. About $220 for a TR.

Canvas just seems a little classier over vinyl.

I am using a MGB top frame - it is the right width, but the header bow needs to be replaced. Something that matches the curvature of the Z windshield.

I have Scott Bruning's videos on making tops. He cuts, beats, snips, welds the header from flat sheet steel into shape.

I was thinking about something like marine-grade plywood sandwiching a steel plate. ......Don't laugh.....

OK laugh . :D but I thought it would work

MAdman dood!!!!!! Check the bottom wher I am from man!!! hehehe I would lose some family jewels without a top in the fall!!! lol

Drew

P.S. I would be interested in a copy of the vid!!!

i too bought the 5hr video ,hats off to him i think there is an easier way. i have a tr7 top,fiat 124 top,and the cloth part( windows etc.)for a newer 300zx, (its very very close to working).i have built 2converibles,a jim cook racing kit and a vr/250 stable,i am currently working on the top for both . in the great state of alabama it rains, it rains, and its hot. im thinking along the lines of the the early AH sprite.break it down, fold it up,put it in the trunk. the heck with all that super dooper fold up stuff. less is more, simple is sometimes difficult, but we're working on it. I'm also working on the hard tops and making good progress. both tops must inter change so you can go to the beach and still be ready for that daily rain storm.

yall give me some more ideas!!!!!!

trickz

we're packin 8 ain't no 6 banger!!!

Guest Anonymous

I have an MGTD kit car that has a very simple boat style fittings for the bows but I cannot figure out a simple way to mate or secure the canvas to the windshield header of the fiberglass headers of the Tomahawk, Vello Rossa or Origin Z convertible.. The MGTD has a groove in the aluminum windshield frame that the canvas is pressed into and then the top is pulled tight with the rear body snaps to hold it in place. I have a fiberglass hardtop for my Origin Z convertible kit but it will not mate up to the Vello Rossa rear tub or windshield header without modifications nor will it fit the Tomahawk header or rear tub. I plan to make a fiberglass top to fit the Tomahawk splashed from the Origin top as I progress in my fiberglass skills

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Watched the Z Therapy Tr7 ragtop conversion for the Datsun Z for hours.. Z Therapy's Scott Brunning does excellant labor intenisive work. He was on his 13th Datsun Z convertible conversion during the taping of the video. I understand that Scott Brunning sold the business and the new owners are specializing in carburators and not doing conversions. The rear strut towers have to be lowered/sectioned 2 inches with a corresponding 2 inches sectioned from the strut tubes just to get the TR7 rag top to lay flat with the body line.You do not want this then the top will not lay completely folded and sick up substantially. Once this is done. There is not much you can do to lower the Z other than going to coilovers for an intial 2 inch drop in height (and no more safely). My experience says you need at least 3 1/2 inchs lowering for the Vello Rossa to look right in the wheel wells. To provide room for the TR7 ragtop folded,the Vello Rossa rear bulk head deck has to cut out and moved back to the trunk hinges (12 inches) and in additiion open up at least 3 inches on each side of the rear deck in a direct line with the side door glass. The windshield header cap has to be totally re-done in sheet metal (weldingxxxx). The ragtop header has to be totally redone in sheetmetal(welding many times) to match the windshield header cap. The TR7 top bows also have to be modified (many ways and times). The TR7 vinyl top has to be modified and re-sewn many ways to fit the modified bows. The only problem I see with the conversion is that a skilled fabricator would still need Scott Brunning to do the work plus a tip shop to fit the rag top.. To me, it looks like 100 hours of work and about $700.00 in parts and materials. The viedeo tape is about 5 1/2 hours long, to give you an idea of the detail work. Excellant video tape that takes you thru about EVERY problem in a convertible conversion with a sction on Brunning's Vello Rossa

• 1 month later...

TR7 top fits easy on a ZX conversion

but i dont like the way it fit on a early Z

my car is NOT a TR7 top

its basically made from Tr6/Tr7.MGB/and spitfire

cut - weld- widen- raise- etc

Guest Anonymous

Hello All, We've had the Z Therapy TR7 conversion tape for about 2 yrs. now. We watched it once and determined, no way. Like Tomohawk said, the work Scott Bruning put into this conversion is much more than totally excessive,and there still would be many alterations for the Vello Rosa. My partner and I are soon to send pictures of the tops we've built and I hope this will excite all of you. We are not making a tape and we're not going to sell anything. All of our info will be free for the asking. That's if any of you wants to ask. I'm happy with what we've done and we hope you like it also.