HybridZ

I Need Help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am picking up a 1973 240Z tomorrow in good working order. This is to be my racing/hobby car. I want to modify this car for purely racing use (so I will be removing most of the interior, going fiberglass for body panels, etc).

I would like any suggestions on what I should do about power. I already plan on upgrading the suspension/brakes on the car to the complete strut assemblies offered by www.arizonazcar.com (unless someone has a better suggestion). While I think I'm a decent wrencher (used to do car audio installs), I really have no clue (nor confidence) about engine/transmission swaps. Could any suggest good powerplant and transmission upgrades and where (I live in San Diego) I can go to purchase/install all that. If possible, I'd like to get an idea on what I'm getting into money-wise. The reason I am getting this car is to have fun on a budget (I'm think $10K to start and slowly upgrade if necessary/desired afterwards).

I would also greatly appreciate any advice on the car in general as well.

Thanks

Max

Welcome aboard. Welcome also to the world of possibilities! How much hp are you looking for? 200? 300? 400? 500? More? Do you want forced induction of some type? Well that at least would narrow it down a little. smile.gif

About the best advice I can offer you is use the internet for anything you want to do with your car! There is a ton of info out here on these Z cars, and the best way to do something right the firs time, and to save some money (and frustration) is to learn as much about it before you do it. Good Luck!

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the warm welcome smile.gif

I am not interested in drag racing (okay fine, I am... but only a little bit). I want a setup that will be good for autocrossing, but will have the ability to step up on the track as well (meaning high speed run capable). With that being said, I'm thinking roughly 400 HP is a good place to be. I wouldn't mind starting a bit lower if the setup would be tunable to 400 or more while keeping reliability and cheaply.

Transmission wise, I think I'd like to get the best system that fits in the car relatively easily (and can handle my projected HP reliably). I'm guessing that would be the T-56 I've been reading about.

IN addition, I found this site which sells remanufactured engines:

http://www.enginefactory.com/

The Chevy Saturday Night Special seems to be what I am looking for... but then again, I'm not really sure what that is smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

That would be great. Please e-mail me your address/phone number and I'll drop by anytime today you have free time.

Thanks

Max

• Administrators

I dropped you a e-mail.

Also, this is a invetation to anyone in my area (San Diego). If your thinking about doing a coversion and want to come by and see a coversion in progress and do some Q&A feel free to drop me a e-mail.

------------------

Dan "I need bigger tires" Porter, 78 280Z, 383, 475hp, T56, Move outa my WAY!!!

http://24.4.88.44/members/dporter/DanZ.html