HybridZ

Whats a good head for a 5.0

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm leaning twards the AFR 165cc but I'm still not totally sure about them. They are a little steep. Please help and give advise of other heads...

Thanks Ken K.

I think the best ones are made by canfield. With just the seats blended in to the bowl and 2.02 and 1.60 valves my heads flowed across the range equal to the AFR 195's that had the full CNC treatment. Where they lost out was just at the top of lift and they only lost by a little bit. This was told to me by the guy that does my heads and he put it to me this way, making the AFR flow better would be hard because there not much left to work with as opposed to the canfields that had been untouched.

This guy knows his stuff having been in business for over 20 years and is very busy 12 months a year. Problem is the ports are bigger at 192 so it will give your motor a higher rev range. :)

Don

Guest Anonymous

Head choice, like everything else, depends on where you want the meat of the powerband to be. Big-port/valve heads will reduce low-end torque and require stiff gearing, hotter cam timing and a larger carb to be effective. The Boss 302 is a very good example of what happens if you go too big. It was great on the track, but was kind of a pain to drive on the street.