HybridZ

calling SIMON and ZR8ed

fl327

ive been staring at the front clips here at the warehouse for too dang long, we have some really nice stuff come and go from the spot, one particular motor of interest to me. the VG30dett, just gawked over one for two hours a jspec front clip, with the rear suspension crated up next to it.

its either this motor or the supra, but i think a modern wangan midnite is gonna run the vg30dett or the RB-but it never came here i dont feel good about using it.

i have tried to get ahold of the guy spotlighted in zdriver with the same swap im looking into with no sucess. granted, i have about a year before i want to even attemp this, but im getting all my data now. i have heard that the SOHC and DOHC are pretty similar in size, twin turbo having the added "convienience" of a turbo on both banks, making the steering column an issue, i would probably just add a ujoint to the column to get some more room there. i would just like to drop one in bone stock with the five speed trans connected to the r200, or maybe a five lug with discs in the rear so i could run the tt rims, which usually come with the clips if i make a special order and specify for it. any help anybody could give me would be great, it wont be for at least a year or so though, im going overseas for work and will be gone for at least six months starting early summer, and will be back looking to do a tt swap. thanx guys.

The twin turbo is a very tight fit. I'm not sure about the clearance for the steering, but it just barely fits between the shock towers.

If it does interfere with the stock steering, you may have to make extensive changes to the steering shafts like I did. Not only did i move the shaft, but i moved it further outboard. This forced me to cut 1" out of my frame rails. and re boxed it in. Not to mention more reinforcing added in the wheel well area to compensate. More structural steel was also added under the frame rail. When this happened, it also interfered with the bracing that holds the compression rod. The actual mounting point was not moved, but the extra bracing around that mount was cut away, and redesigned. It is such a critical area, and I took no chances on safety. I never would have even done this had I not had a full cage that mounted to brace the compression rod..(from the main hoop down to the lower floor/firewall..then continued out behind the front wheel. Plus my extra tower bracing.

I believe I don't need the cage to hold the car together, and that my steering mods, and my frame rail mods are strong enough on their own...but I feel that it is just that much stronger with it...especially with triple the horsepower trying to twist my car in two! :D