HybridZ

CA LS1 280Z Update

Hello Everyone

Just posting updates on the LS1 Swap

Just finished the camaro fuel tank sending unit conversion circuit. The circuit will convert the sending unit power that goes to the PCM (not PCM sig) to the appropriate voltage. Instead of adjusting resistence i am adjusting voltage. Works the same way! I will post this when I acctually insert it into the car. If people are interested please let me know and i will post it earlier. I spent some time working with another electronics genious to make this work.

Engine mounting was a little tricky but i got a handle on it. I pulled it out again to adjust the wire harness. Around two years ago i made adjustments to the harness for a SCB motor, now i am having to doing it again. I got another day worth of wire work and hopfully will reinstall by Wednesday.

Still got to have a drive line made and install rear disk brakes. I have rebuilt the master cylinder 3 times and i havent even drovin in it yet. If a master cylinder just sits it kills the aluminum Every 6 months or so i check the wheel cylinders and master cylinder to see if there is any corrosion and sure enough white all over the place, Its eather replace with new or go with disks? Disks seem more appealing.

A word of wisdom: Do not change you mind in the middle of a Z project because you will tack on about a years worth of work.

350Z 5 years in the making!!!

few things for sale

Rebuilt SCB 350

RV cam

$600 OBO

L28 Head and Block

$???? OBO

Setback plates and Spacers

$50 Work as good as JTR

California, Fresno Area Location

I'm confused on what you're talking about here:

Just finished the camaro fuel tank sending unit conversion circuit.

Are you using a camaro sending unit? If so, why are any mods required? Perhaps what you mean is that you're making the Datsun stuff work with the LS1 PCM??

Engine mounting was a little tricky but i got a handle on it.

Which method did you go with - piggyback crossmember?

A4 or T56?

Hi Jeromio

I use alot of your information on your site (Good Job)

Just finished the camaro fuel tank sending unit conversion circuit.

What I am doing is using a camaro tank with a camaro sending unit to a 280Z guage. (Dont know about 240Z or 260Z gauges)The unit uses a 5V supply to the sending unit which provides the PCM a variable .39v Empty/2.9v Full signal. I used a circuit to convert this to the Datsun Guage 3.0v Empty/6.5v Full. It would be impossable to convert the PCM to Gauge signal since it is a pulse. So I used the varible voltage at the sending unit.

I used the piggie back method to mounting the engine. Seem to work pretty well if you have your messurements correct! I messed around for about a week trying to get the right height. I had to make some spacers to adjust the height just right for the steering rod.

Today I finished the fuel system electrical and hose. I labled the camaro harness to connect all the important stuff, and routed the wires to reach the oil pressure and water sensors. I have to put a Data Link Connector(DLC) in the car..does anyone know where i can find the connector and how to connect it?

I pick up a shifter at the junk yard and did some pounding and came out with a hell of a shifter...anyone knows what aftermarket shift lever works good!!! I cant beleave how hard it is to shift into Reverse. Oh and if your missing some connectors junkyards have a ton of them...they are used in newer 92+ GM cars I robbed a GEO...HE HE

Thanks for your support!

None of the local yards around me would sell me any kind of wiring connectors.

Shifting into reverse is a PITA. Of course, I have yet to shift with the engine running yet (just one or two times, "testing" the shifter out - there may or may not have been self-made vroom-vroom engine noises involved :D ).

I think John @ http://speartech.com can sell you a data connector. I ordered ATAP (from Pace, haven't rec'd yet), so I should get one too. But, I'm far too cheap (and poor), so I'm gonna see if I can just patch the 3 wires that are needed. If you can get a junkyard to sell you one, that'd be a good way to go. Just any old 96+ GM car should do.

As for guages, my fuel guage was sorta broken anyway. And I had no desire to drill holes in my LS1 for Oil,water. And again with the cheap/poor action - no buying new, elec. ones. So, I'm goin' junkyard/A-team/duck-tape/Thundar-the-barbarian style. Hopefully it'll work out....

I predict that someone, at some point (but not MikeKnell/JTR) will eventually sell a piggy-back crossmember LS1 swap kit. Maybe someone like this guy will do it.

Man what a day today.

Today started off manipulating a fuse/relay box to fit my needs. When that got all finished went out back and made sure that all the part and pieces worked. Connected the clutch accuator to power and POW oops what happend? I connected it backwards and it backfeed the diode in the line...never heard of i diode in the middle of an accuator circuit before...so i went to the store and picked up another 1W diode and fixed the problem. After all of that me and a helper installed the engine in its final destination...Whooot!!! Tomarrow i have a lot of wires to work with, connections and power..Should be long and boring

Hey i will have pics tomarrow, a friend will have a camera so i will post next week some time. Cant wait to run over some rice racers when its done. After the big startup i will have paint and wheels to purchase.

Good luck on your projects...laters