HybridZ

LS1 guys- I need your expertise!

:? I am wiring up the LS1/t-56 now. Jeromio, I know you used Speartech. Cyrus did it all himself and Lonestar1 just had the engine harness.

So, here is my situation. I have the Camaro tank, column, and gauges in the car. That stuff is all plug & play. But, the motor was from a 2001 WS6 and has body control module, ABS, radio, power everything, and the anti theft stuff. Since I have the column and the key, I won't have to deal with the VATS.

My questions are:

What should I keep in the wiring?

What about the clutch depressed switch and the other stuff on the pedals?

What do they do?

There are also two switches on the brakes. What are they?

One is for the brake lights and the other?

Thanks for your help. :bonk:

I had Speartech reprogram my PCM to remove VATS, EGR, etc.

I have a stock Camaro engine harness.

Without LS1 Edit, you need to rig up something for VATS. You need the resistor and reader (tumbler and key),wired to the BodyControlModule. which needs some signals - 12v+ and ground to various of its pins. YOu end up with I think the Purple wire going back to the PCM.

Or else something to simulate that signal back to the PCM. Someone has plans for resistors and such.

I don't have the clutch wire going anywhere and my motor runs fine.

I don't think the PCM cares about those brake wires. Unless traction control is turned on, in which case that could give you trouble.

I left most everything in the harness. I know Cyrus pulled out many pounds of wire, but I didn't want the hassle. I still have the freakin A4 harness and such built into mine, even though I have a T56.

You do have a Helms manual, right?

The reprogrammation route is really sooooo much simpler. Eliminates extraneous SES codes from missing rear O2s and EGR. Lowers temps ( according to Jonh@Speartech, stock temp for fans to turn on is 234F).

:? I think I will just lay the whole thing out on the garage floor plug in the stuff I have and see what happens. I still need some Radiator hoses, a belt and some other little odds and ends.

The good news is that I am ready to paint the engine bay. Once I have the electrical stuff worked out, the motor is going in for the last time! Knock on wood!

Cyrus, didn't you keep the body control module hooked up for the VATS. I figure if I leave that in with the Camaro column and key that it should work without anything else. No???

Hi Maichor

First thing i did was get a GM service manual from E-bay it convers everything you would ever need in a camaro.

I would of told you to throw the BCM away if you were not using the instrument cluster. That about everything it does becides the majority of the VATS system.

The BCM contains two parts of the VATS system, the starter relay and the fuel enable that runs to the PCM. The BCM looks for the resistance information in the the key. if it doesnt find the specific resistance it will not enable the starter relay or the fuel enable. When it does find the resistance all the BCM does is ground out the starter relay and sends fuel enable signal to the PCM. That is all it does is put it to ground. No information is sent becides the serial port connection, but this isnt required for OBDII operation. If the BCM isnt connected to the PCM it will not throw a Check engine light. I would bypass the relay for starter operation or just perminately ground the wire that connects to the starter relay C11 Yellow black on the main connector of the BCM. For the fuel enable keep it connected to the BCM

The clutch is on the same circuit as the starter relay. Just connect the two wires from each side of the switch! Then you wont have to push down the cluch every time you get in the car. I dont know about what is connect to the pedals becides the clutch switch. I dont think it should matter much.

I know all of this because i have been working on wireing for the passed week. I am using a stock harness off of a 98 camero I dont have a BCM so i have to figure out how to get the signal to the fuel enable line.

Good luck

Thanks for the good info. I have seen a few service manuals on eBay. Which one did you get? There is a PDF cd rom one with exploded views and part #'s but I don't think it has step by step stuff. I have also seen an engine service manual for LS1, none of the sellers can tell me if there are wiring diagrams etc. I don't have the Helm's either. The car budget is tight, especially when you try to explain to the wife why you need a $120 book to figure out wiring when she knows you did another vehicle with a 12$ Haynes!

Again, thanks for the info.

This manual covers all the wireing systems for the whole car. Even for special conditions. What i did was print the parts of the manual that are important and made hard copies.

I would like to provide you with this manual if you want. Just about the same price as a haynes. Remember that these manuals are copies all of them none are the originals. I ordered and had to get my money back on 1 set

GM Service Manual 1980-2003

Step by Step install and replace parts Tolerances and torque specs

5 CD set of GM Service manuals named SI-2000.

This set of CD's is the same set used at GM Dealerships.

This is the latest version dated Nov of 2002 , Version # 2002.14

Included on the 5 CD Set is the following information:

1. 1980-Present (Nov. 2002) Service Bulletins & Recall Campaigns

2. 1996 & 1997 Engine & Transmission Sections, which includes

drivability, emissions, electrical diagnosis and schematics as

well as unit overhaul & repair.

3. 1998 - 2003 Service Manual info. ALL sections of all the manuals.

4. Service information for the 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2003 Chevy & GMC Pickup MD C 4/5/6/7/8, 2003 Pontiac Vibe, 2003 Hummer H2, Saturn ION

And if you have any other gm cars that are this new.

If you or anyone is interested please dont get ripped off i am willing to supply the same manual. I am not trying to make anything off of this its just something I would wish to share. I paid full price when i got this set just helping with others conversion.

bjg28@hotmail.com

Briguy280z