HybridZ

Autozone, gotta love them...

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

I don't konw about you guys but my autozone here just blows...Nothing better than being in a rush to get your halfshaft to a machine shop to press out the bad U-joints and end up getting the wrong U-Joint size in the correct box. Amazing eh? Out of every U-Joint box, I had to get the one with the right box...But incorrect size in the box. Sheeseh Why me> :roll:

Any Autozone blows. i was trying to buy one of those jump booster battery packs once and i asked them how many amps it was. The guy said it is not used for charging. I told him i know but i need to know how many amps it has. He said none it's 12 volts and he gave me the duhhhhhh! look. So finally i asked him what do you think cranks the starter over, just the voltage? And get this he goes "ya" I said no stupid it's cranking amps, why do you think all the other car batteries here are rated with CCA and not voltage. An get this, the guy i was arguing with was the one with the white shirt with the name "manager" not the pleabs with the red shirts. :shock: I mean come on, he's the head honcho and he doesnt know ampereage? That's even worse than the hi/lo kid who didnt know what a quadrajet was.

Guest Slvrhase

Not to jump on the bandwagon of "flaming" Autozone but...........It seems like all parts stores have come to be like any fast food place, anymore. They just hire kids who want a job, they don't have to know anything. Most are rude, mainly because they are so upset that you may know more than they do, manager or red shirt! I used to work at a local AZ, when I was hired they asked me a long list of auto related question. I remeber one about power valves on Holley's and one about Q-jets. I've gotten to where I do most of my business over the internet, no real added hassle and no stupidity............

when I was in college I worked at Autozone. They did give me eight test on the different automotive systems, AC, electrical, cooling, etc... Thing is the test didnt determine if you were hired or not most times. It just determined how much money you would start at.

As for the whole white shirt red shirt thing, most times that doesnt really matter. Some of those guys dont know their A$$ from a hole in the ground. There are normally one or two guys who know whats going on in the store. Look for the guys who spend all their time behind the counter. When I worked there they always kept the better people at the parts counter and had the scrubs out in the store or cashing out. I spent so much time behind the counter I was the leading store salesman and I only worked 30 hours a week!

Guest jim@speednation

WOW! I totally agree. I managed an Autozone for a while. When I first joined the company, they were willing to look for experienced people and pay them a half decent wage. The they became OBSESSED with getting the stock price up so the big shots could make serious cash. That meant cutting expenses and overhead, and the biggest one is employee paychecks.

That meant they hired people who barely knew how to pump gas in their car and then they paid them minimum wage or just above. Sometimes they hired managers from grocery or electronics stores because "they have managerial experience". DUH! How about automotive experience? They also would hire four part time people instead of two full time ones to save on benefits. That way you had a bunch of people to train instead of one or two. Did I also mention that they keep you from ordering toilet paper and printer cartridges near the end of the fiscal year? Nice.

Autozone also is heavily populated by ex-military personel who demand shiney floors, nice looking shelves and clean and pressed uniforms above all. They don't care about stocking decent parts or having enough of them on hand. After a few years of this kind of crap I went back to working at car dealerships (GM Service Manager, Honda-Mitsubishi Parts Manager, Nissan-Suzuki Service Advisor) where I knew I would be working with trained people and quality parts. Now I'm at a company that has a dyno and sells model and diecast cars and stuff. Much more relaxing.

I haven't been inside an Autozone for quite a while. Advance is just as bad. I use a local independant foreign car place that is right out of the 70s. Boxes everywhere, no employees in uniforms, dirty floors and counters and lots and lots of high quality parts in stock and great advice from people with 15-25 years at the same store. Their prices are BETTER than Autozone and Advance too.