HybridZ

400 HP - Nissan Reman or rebuild current engine?

Starting to think of the next step for the '83 ZXT, and the '75 V* isn't even started yet!

If I'm only going for ~400HP, do I need to rebuild what I have (not daily driver), or can I just plu in a factory reman ($1400 from my dealership for a longblock w/'82 head)?

Whenever I do this, will be installing intercooler and probably SDS/TEC system and refurbishing engine compartment from wear/tear/battery woes.

Since the car isn't a daily driver, no worries on time, will my money be better spent rebuilding what I have w/good pistons/bolts/etc?

Thanks,

:)

Brad

hey brad is the engine is good order?Compression and everything look good?If so i'd just leave it as it is and give her a try.I know of a few guys making 400rwhp on the stock bottom end but it is majorly important that you keep it from detonating.I was making about 300wrhp last year on 10 psi of boost and i let mine detonate ALOT cuz i was careless and i ended up cracking the ringlands on 1&2 pistons but caused no damage to cylinder walls.I plan to push it to the limit this year with a haltech ems and a good ic run about 20 psi and see what the beast will do i'm hoping for 400wrhp but we will see.If you blow the engine then it's no big deal cuz you have no money into it and you know how much it will take.Kinda suck if you rebuilt it and blew it up :wink: I have some forged pistons waiting to take the place of the stock ones but not until next year i'm guessing or when i kill these pistons i kinda want to find the breaking piont so i can inform people of it.

That's just my 2 cents hope it helps

Makes sense. With 177K miles, I just assumed I should be rebuildinf the heads (new valve guides etc.).

I guess I'll just bolt everything up and not worry if it blows though my attempts at tuning.

Fortunately, HESCO is only ~1.5 hous away - I can always get them to tune it after I get a Nissan reman or do a rebuild...

Mine had 160k on it and i thought it was low on compression but it turned out it was just fine didn't need a rebuild.I had the valves done anyway while i had it off but it didn't need it either.These engines are extremely well built and strong that's why i'm staying with the stock system for right now.They are way easy to tune too i'd just say run it it dies :)