HybridZ

New GM V6!!!

Moridin

I'm looking at a little article in Car Craft magazine right now. It seems that GM has an all new Global V6 ready to be put in some of their cars. It's an all aluminum design, quad cam, 24-valve, 60-degree, continuously variable cam timing, electronic throttle control, forged steel crank, coil-on-plug ignition, dual-stage variable intake manifold (not sure about this one), 32-bit engine control computer V6. They say after looking at the block it shows a deep skirt design (not to sure what this means, maybe someone else can chime in on this) with a structural aluminum oil pan (sounds expensive), and chain-driven cams. Seems like a recipe for success.

GM promises it in almost everything it has. It will be in front and rear-wheel drive aplications (Wonder if a T56 will mate up to it, or maybe a new 6 spd with an application in the CTS). The engine displacement will range from 2.8 to 3.8L with turbo charged and direct injection on the way. Horse power will range from around 200 to "more than" 370 and torque will go from 200 lb-ft. to over 350. The first version of this motor is supposed to be 3.6L and put out around 255HP. They say the motor will initially come in the Cadillac CTS and then to Buicks, Pontiacs, and Chevy.

Right, direct injection ala recent diesel designs. Injector in the head. Supposed to be more efficient, cleaner combustion. Very cutting edge. I think BMW uses this in their latest gas engines.

Check it:

IncylinderAirflow.gif

Deep skirt/structural pan is much like the LS1 (which I have in my car). Or, if you've ever seen pictures of an old Ford Side oiler (427, 390, 352, etc) - those were deep skirt blocks too. Makes the block more of a Y than a V. Increases rigidity and strength for the mains - less flex. Overkill with an iron block, but key for aluminum. I think the Nissan VQ has a deep skirt too.

As to pan expense, I broke mine (cuz I'm an idiot) and had to get another one - cost me $25 + shipping. Yes, of course that was used, but my point is that as long as it's a high volume, production motor, parts become easier to find and cheaper. [/img]

jeromio, you da man with the answers!!

. Very cutting edge. I think BMW uses this in their latest gas engines.

I know BMW also did this on their WWII radial engines they put in the FW190 fighter planes. The engines were half the size of our Pratt and Whitney R2800 yet produced 3/4th the horsepower.

I know Honda has been working with some direct injection engines. They seem to be able to run insanely lean on crap octane gas. I guess you don't lose any fuel from wetting the inside of the intake manifold. The only BMW motor that I know of using the direct injection (other than their diesel) is the V12 out of the 760i. They are probably using it in other motors as well, so anyone who knows can chime in.

The new V6 is quite exciting. Hopefully light, and less length than the LS1 and other V8s. A factory turbo'ed one would be awesome for a Z.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be nice if it found itself in some RWD applications; I've also read that the new DOHC V6 will have a Timing Chain instead of the dreaded Timing Belt.

Hey, maybe GM is finally catching on: as in a 60k mile belt replacement is not ok w/me-just put a Timing Chain in there & let the engine go 150-200k before worrying about it).

I like the Timing Chain thing...look how well the Ford 4.6 OHC engines have done w/Timing Chains instead of Timing Belts.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

The CTS is a RWD to my knowledge, and this motor is going in there. I don't think they are going to put a 370HP motor in FWD car, because of half-shaft reliability and other problems. I'm also a really big fan of the Ford OHC motors. The new Cobra is soooooo much fun and that motor is just plain awesome. The more I look at them, the more I want to put a 5.0 cammer (quad cam V8) in a Z. I'm really waiting for this V6 though. Twin hair dryer V6 would be really, really fun.