HybridZ

Interior

Guest polarity

Guest polarity

I decided to start on my interior (cheap and time consuming) to give myself something to do. I decided i wanted to rip out the old carpet, put in new, put down some type of sound deadener, and maybe even spray the interior of the car (take out everything and repaint). My question is what do you guys do to your interior. What type of carpet did you use. Any dash swaps. I'm just looking for ideas.

Billy

I`m going to use Black indoo/outdoor carpet from Lowes. I`m also planning to use 1/2"rebond carpet padding under it. It should be lighter than the heavy rubberized sound deadener, and will also make it much quieter.

I`m doing the same for my wifes MGB and it looks great.

i used black automotive carpet from home depot. for sound deadener i didn't want something heavy so i used the same stuff they use under wood flooring. it's a thin foam, very light and does a good job of muffling road noise. i used 3M spray adhesive to keep everything down and it worked very well, quite easy to apply, just try not to breathe in too much of the fumes.

Guest polarity

also there is a part of the carpet i cant get out. on the middle hump, under the dash (behind the radio console) where the carpet comes up the hump I can not figure out how to get that one piece out of the car? any ideas

I'm using black automotive carpetting from Pep Boys, but after a year or two I'm probably going to invest in some good quality plush outdoor carpetting from a flooring store. The problem is, they have a minimum purchase requirement that's 10x what I need for my project. Maybe I can do a group buy when the time's right... I want it to look great and insulate from sound and heat.

Anyway, when you try to get the carpet from on top of the hump, you might investigate the possibility of removing the center brace from the dashboard support. IIRC, it bolts to the brace and to the transmission tunnel. If nothing else works, just get after it with a razor knife.

Guest De Schmaydee

......i redid my interior......several times....

...i painted the interior pieces.....wasnt pleased... used indoor outdoor carpet and various types of interior paints.....

...finally (after finding nothing was holding up to the wear) i bought "real" automotive carpet (cost less than the other stuff) and figured out how to apply the paint to where it would stay on better...

...the best way i found (for the paint) was to prep it w/bulldog prep and used sem vinyl paint.....then covered it w/several coats of clear (satin) sem paint..... this works pretty well....

....the door panels i made from 1/8 enameled masonite and covered them w/the automotive carpet and (automotive grade) vinyl......

....the main thing i learned was to use the right materials....they didnt cost anymore than the other stuff (i thought would work well) just took a bit of searching to find them.....

......here's my interior (still not quite finished)......s

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/index.html?new_only=0

...........s

also there is a part of the carpet i cant get out. on the middle hump, under the dash (behind the radio console) where the carpet comes up the hump I can not figure out how to get that one piece out of the car? any ideas

I think you may need to unbolt a few more items and then it should come out. Unless it has been glued down, it should come out. I did replace the carpeting in my former 260Z with an MSA kit that worked quite well. However, not being able to leave well enough alone, when I am able to, I will get a place to stitch up some carpeting from a Mercedes Benz. I love the quality of the carpet that comes from the higher end cars, especially European ones. Heavier? Yes, but who cares; it's nothing that a V8 can't handle anyway.

Davy