HybridZ

Last part of LSD swap

Guest sb400z

Guest sb400z

I've been reading a lot of the old posts on swapping a 89 3.7 Lsd into my 240. I currently have an r180. I know that I need the mustache bar and bushings, a front mount, a new cover (or break off some fins), and a different connection to the driveshaft. Is there a part that will adapt my driveshaft to make it work with the R200 LSD or am I going to have to have something special done to make it spin? This is the last thing I need to know before I put in the diff, cv conversion, 5-lug hubs, coilovers and big brakes all around from Ross.

Well, it depends on which year 240 you have. If it is one of the early 240's (70-71), the rear end sits farther forward than the later years (72-73). If that is the case, when you install the R200 with the new components, it will be in the later, farther back position and the early driveshaft will be too short. If you have a later 240, the driveshaft will work, but you will just need a front diff flange from a non turbo 280z or 280zx R200 and the early driveshaft will bolt up.

regards,

mike

Guest sb400z

Thanks for the info. The car is a 72 so I guess my driveshaft is fine. And for the diff flange and cover, would it be easier just to get another open R200 from a 280 and swap the parts?

You could do that if you choose to. This way you could save the rear cover w/o chopping fins off of it for a later date, or sell it... I used the LSD diff brace another member sells when I installed mine, so I kept the finned rear cover. I figures the extra oil capacity can't hurt...

Guest sb400z

I would use the brace, but I have front and rear sway bars, which I hear don't allow the use of the it. Has anybody been able to keep their rear sway bar and finned cover? If so, share your knowledge. thanks