HybridZ

Electric or mechanical fuel pump

Guest 327zxer

Guest greimann

Need a little more info. What type of fuel system are you running? Port EFI requires a high pressure electric pump. TBI EFI requires a low presure electric pump, a carburetor can use either mechanical or electrical with a bypass style regulator.

If your car is what your nick says, a 327 ZX, You can use the stock fuel pump with a bypass style regulator.

I would go with electric pump mounted back by the gas tank. And..... if you used the JTR method to mount your 327 SBC, the stock mechanical pump will not fit.

If it is, in fact, a ZX that he is installing the engine into, the JTR position does not really apply. Greimann should know the answer: if the crossmember will interfere or not.

Davy

• 2 months later...

When an electric pump is used...

At idle you have too much pressure and fuel is circulated through the system getting hotter and hotter with each circulation. You do not want to heat up your fuel, especially if you are using quality race fuel as it deteriorates it pretty quickly.

When you stand on it the pump might be struggling to keep up with the engines demand. So, you fit a bigger pump or two of them but all you'll be doing is doubling your problem.

They will also continue to pump after an accident if the car hasn't seized up which can result in an unfavourable bang.

Mechanical and belt driven pumps are a better bet as they flow according to demand, are lighter and do not draw on your electric power. The key point there for me is flow according to demand.

I might be assuming that the application is more inclined to racing, be it drag or track, than street use but the pros and cons are applicable to any form of use.

Cheers

George

Guest Anonymous

You can use a edelbrock 8 lb block mounted pump and have plenty of volume for 400 hp. I use a Holley black pump with a BG regulator and have plenty of volume for 550 hp. If you go with the holley black electric pump you don't need a return line but you with need a regulator.