HybridZ

Clutch.. but not clutch

Nismo280zEd

Ok, I droped my tranny about a 2 weeks ago now. the clutch had about 1/2" of pad on it everything looked good. then this week sometimes it will lock me out of reverse and first. checked the fluid it's fine, so tonight, i had to accelerate pretty hard to get on the feeder after eating at a restraunt. And it locked me out of all the gears till i slowed down to about 30 the it let me in 3rd. Then the pedal felt funny.. shifted to fourth, no grinding at all.. then the pedal went soft when i put it in nuetral, coasted into a nearby gas station, nothing dripping, fluid level fine, but noises coming from where the clutch is. Like random squealing noises. The car sits there running while i try to find a clue as to what happend. NOthing so i figure ok i'm gonna put it in gear and try to drive home.

Goes into first w/ a clunk no grind but a "clunk" noise pedal feels a little stiffer now. drive home w/ no problems shifting what so ever. Just "shimmied" a little and made a funky noise when driving in gear.

Got home looked w/ a flashlight for a clue. Nothing at all. I've never had a clutch go out on me but common sense tells me something isn't right when you put a little pressure on the clutch and you can feel pulsating vibrations through the pedal. If the clutch is going... how come it shifts fine?

Do you still have the original engine/tranny? Mine did something similar to me about a year ago. I could still get into the gears, but wasnt getting any power to the wheels. The slave cylinder was over extending and locking open. It would only do it occasionally, so it was a pain in the ass to track down. Hope this helps.

Mike

Could be the release bearing? Just finished replacing the entire clutch system in my Z. The release bearing completely disintegrated and the ball bearings were sitting on the bottom of the clutch housing. You may need to open it up to know for sure what's wrong with yours.

My $0.02,

-Guycali