HybridZ

Squealing belt

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm sorry I have yet another non z question

I just built a new olds 350 and put it in a cutlass, when the enginge started for the first time, the belt which connects the crank, water pump, and power steering pump squeals after about 10 seconds, then smokes and if left long enough, breaks, I have replaced the water pump, power steering pump and all three pullies, still does it, any Ideas?

thanks Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Matt;

I thought we covered this one?

Anyway, If you installed all this new stuff After you had the problem and it persists, you may have a coincidence. Pull the belt and start the engine; If it still squeals then you likely have a beer can or other tool caught behind the crank pully or whatever. No sqeal then shut it off. Hand rotate each pulley with a little side pressure while noting any stiffness or bumpyness. If you find any then that one is the problem (even a new item can fail quickly sometimes).

Carefully inspect the edges and particularly the outside of the belt for signs of rubbing and reassemble and check the outside of the belt again wherever it passes any object and may be rubbing.

Fire it up. If it still squeals, you either need to use a stethascope probe on each pulley area (listning for erattic bearing sounds ) or begin to think this sound is coming from somewhere else? (But the smoke don't lie)!

Are you sure you are tightning the belt to specs? The power steering requires a particular amount of tension, much more than the others I think.

I don't know guy's. Is it possible a valve in the steering box is malfunctioning and imitating a full right or left steering wheel bind?