HybridZ

how much for V8+swap?

Guest 280steveX

Guest 280steveX

basically, how much am i lookin at spending for this kinda swap? SBC350 V8, tranny-driveshaft & labor time for install. i tried searching but no threads talk about cost...THX

Guest Anonymous

madmanadam Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:53 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have the JTR Book or something close?

It seems like the best way to get an estimate is to buy the JTR conversion manual, and study what is involved in the conversion. Cost will depend on what you can and cannot do by yourself. The same goes for time.

Guest greimann

There should be pleanty of threads on cost, but as a general rule, it can't be done for less than $2500 if you are really good at scrounging junk yard parts. If you want to use some new parts it is going to be $3000 +. I spent $5000.

You mention labor time, so does this mean you are going to pay someone to do this? If so, please disregard my prevoius figures. You better be rich.

Guest 280steveX

i hav a friend who is a ASE mech at a Chevy dealer & has been building cars for over 10yrs. it's the man hours is what i'm looking at, not the cost to pay a shop. but i was asking to compare how much i'd be saving. i can get a good 350&tranny for a grand, but i was wondering how much beer i gotta buy to pay him.

if we did this on weekends, how many weekends would it take?

I ran into a guy who owns a local shop in the Raley's parking lot. He wanted to see the guts, we spent 20 minutes just B.S.ing about cars and projects. At one point, I asked him how much he could do this kind of job for, and he said "about 100 - well, maybe 120 hours if it went smooth". Around here, most shops bill out about $75 and hour, some higher, some lower. And, nothing ever goes smooth. YMMV.