HybridZ

Need wiring help - alternator

Mudge

The connector that goes to my fusible link (off a branch that is), and is what I believe to be the relay spot, is like so:

blue/red stripe|

Black/white st | | <-Green

Yellow solid .. | | <-Yellow

It looks like black/white goes to the diz? (crank position sensor on 81, but mine is 82), I will test with the multi later.

Yellow/yellow I am not sure at this point, maybe signal, or maybe CPS is somehow my signal, dunno.

Green and blue/red I think go to fusible link (power source), maybe its even black/red and I am blind.

Now, on the 81 diagram which I have, it shows 6 wires but also shows the same 2-lead fusible link which is identical to what I'm working with, although I only have 5 wires. Thier wires are:

Red, BW, B, BW, Brown, Green.

Ok, I will tell you what I see in my haynes manual looking at the schematic for 82zxt, and BTW this all matches what I have on my 83zxt engine. This is what I think I see and may not be true (anybody chime in), its kind of hard to trace these through the haynes manual.

1. There is a two wire connector that goes to the fusible link box, it has wires Brown and Green. Brown supplies power to the green relay. The Green wire supplies power to the ECU and fuel injectors all the time.

2. There is a four wire connector for the EGI green relay, it has wires Brown, Black, Black with White stripe, and another Black with White stripe. It looks like when the ignition is turned on, then one of the black with white wires comes from the ignition and will turn on the relay to provide power to the ECU and other things through the other black with white wire.

3. Now the six position connector in question (that only uses 5 positions) has wires Blue with Red stripe, Green, White, Yellow, Black with White stripe. (you say yellow solid and yellow in you post????) The Black with White wire here is the one that goes hot when ignition is on so that the EFI relay is activated. It looks like it goes all over but among those places to the ignition switch and to the coil. The White wire is water temp switch and goes to the fan motor relay. Yellow is for the water temp gauge. Blue with Red activates the fuel pump relay. Green looks like it is tied to the fuel pump power line, so when the realy is turned on for the pump this line will send 12v back to the ECU.

So do you have a white and yellow or two yellow wires on that last connector? That is the only connector that matches what you are saying.

Let me know

Bryan

That post looks like from our own Ian from SoCal.

Thanks for the stuff Moby/Bryan, I will check that out tonight in about 45m or so after some food. I believe I have 2 yellows, but a yellow/white would be an easy one not to spot, doh. I will make sure to get some light on it to hopefully ensure I have the right stuff to work with, since it plugs into the fusible link, I am fairly certain, I can always track these locations with the multimeter too if something looks wrong.

I'll report back tonight!

Ok, here is what I found out. The EGI relay you describe (4 wire) I already have in place, I had a black relay there (probably plugged it in myself), but the wires match, so I'll throw the green one on there anywho.

This other connector, did have a white wire, it was so faded/old/dirty it looked yella, I figured that would not make sense but couldn't tell in the light at the time, oops.

I have a connector all by its lonesome, 2 prong coming off the ECU that has green and black wires (2), so this sounds like my power input! I wired up my own fuel relay already, so that part is taken care of.

You really helped me out here Bryan, mucho appreciado!

Looks like I was incorrect to assume power was on that 2 lead to the ECU, at least I think so. Black shorts to black/white on the 5 prong connector mentioned earlier, as well as 2 approximately 8 guage wires that are white, on the same basic wiring harness strand.

I dont yet know what the green wire shorts to, wasn't able to get a blip on the radar with anything.

I think I may have seen an ECU pinout somewhere, so I'm going to try to find that. 4 days to Laguna, still hoping to make it.

The haynes read manual, is that what you got off ebay? That one seems good for the wiring. I got the turbo engine dropped in today, hooked up starter, alternator. I've got to mount the AFM and VCM. My car is a 73 240, and it has the electric pump in back. I didn't realize that until I was under it today, I'm glad because that will give me a place to mount the new electric pump. I also have to relocate the throttle linkage. Getting closer. I still haven't found a hydraulic hose to bypass my oil cooler lines, so no chance of firing it up this weekend, oh well, I have plenty left to do.

You could always use steel bent pipe, OR if you dont mind the labor, you can take a 1 1/8" socket to take off the oil cooler altogether. You will need however, the threaded "pipe" part that holds the filter off of your 240 engine, if you still have it. The only things holding the oil cooler in place is a small bolt (12mm I think) and the 2 hugh jass 1 1/8" which holds the lines in place also.

The manual I got was a Clymer, I've heard good things about it, but who knows, its all I could find.

I am poking through Zcar.com bugeyed, but I really want to get this fargin thing sorted out, I can't be too far away (???) its been 2 weeks now. I posted a thread requesting a wiring diagram if anyone has a scanned copy somewhere, so far no luck, still going through archives though. The swap sounds fargin easy but I am missing something, ACC still gets hot for some reason? I dont see any shorts, so I'm somewhat lost.

One clue I have to look after, is my donor was an automatic, there are safeties in the automatic to keep it from running apperantly, like the seatbelt must be on, and some "inhibited switches," the only diagrams I have go up to I think 78.

I have about 17 threads open on the computer right now to look at, one of which is to try and figure out my ignition since I am possibly missing things.

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/ZXPertronix.htm

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=338375&t=338311

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=259574&t=259449

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=287037&t=286920

Back to ma readin'.

Frig! Someone sent me an 83 snapshot of the wiring diagram for the ECCS, this will help me big time. It is a large file and I can't get it under 680kB (JPG) even in gray scale, so if anyone needs it I can email it gladly, but can't post it in the gallery unless I compress the snot out of it.

Have a solid green light to the ECU, fuel pump still works ;) have power to the coil, still wont fire but at least its progress. I also have pin 5 (y/w) to the neg term on the ignitor, and b/w from the ign also, so that stuff is covered.

Injectors wont fire... any ideas?