HybridZ

Toyota LSD carrier in a R200. Is it possible?

Boobala

I recently picked up this LSD Differential for the low, low price of $25.00,

(the guy didn't know what it was) and I am pretty sure it came from a 198x

Toyota Celica GT-S or a Supra. I've only had time to pull off the rear cover,

so I don't really know anything like Ring Gear bolt size or stub axle teeth

and stuff like that. (There are no markings that I can find on the case.)

My question is this: Can this carrier be put into an R200?

1272Picture_017SM.jpg

1272Picture_016SM.jpg

1272Picture_015SM_.jpg

Thanks!

Most likely the spline count will be different than an R-200. I'm having a similar issue with trying to put the carrier from an R-200 out of an Infiniti J-30 into the case from a 280Z R-200. I'm going to have to use the output shafts from the Infiniti differential to make it work, which is cool because I had planned on using CV shafts anyway. I suspect that if the Toyota carrier will fit in an R-200 case, you will probably have to do the same thing and use the output shafts and CV's from the Toyota as well. I was looking at a Supra in the junkyard today actually, the differential was identical to the one in your pictures. I think it was an 87 or so. It occured to me while looking at it, that it would be a fairly easy swap to just use the entire rear subframe from the Supra under a Z. Its held in by what looks like 4 big bolts and rubber insulaters much like a Jag or 91 or newer T-bird rear end. It has ultra beefy upper and lower A-arms, LSD rear end with stout looking CV's. The rear crossmember is already dimpled to allow the running of dual exhaust as well. Had I not already started down another path for the rear end on my car, this is probably what I would do.

Sorry for rambling.....

Mike

I've seen guys running 600+ HP through the Supra rear end, dont know what kind of torque figures though. From the looks of it, I think it could take nearly any engine you could stuff under the hood. It seems every bit as beefy as the Jag rear end, and its CV so it would be a lot smoother too.

I've got my R-180 completly removed from my car now, and all the bolts holding the rear suspension in place are only finger tight....It would be so easy to just get rid of it altogether. Gears are turning in my head now. I could probably get the whole setup for about $300 or less. Dammit, why does life have to be full of such difficult decisions?

Mike

LOL! (well, only a chuckle really, but you get my point.)

Have you done any measurements. Like the overall width of the whole Supra rear subframe as compared to the Z? I had an '83 Supra, and it seems to me the Supra was a tad wider than the Z. (just guessing)

Here's a link to a guy that did a complete rear subframe swap from a 1982-86 Toyota Supra to a 1983 Celica. (Pretty good pictures)

http://celica-gts.com/how-to_rear_end_swap.shtml

Went back to the junkyard today and got the measurement for the Supra rear end, its 60.5" from side to side measured at the outer face of the disc brakes where the wheel bolts to. I was too lazy to measure the Z today, but I'm sure the Supra is wider by at least a few inches. I think it would work with 40mm offset wheels and maybe some mild flares in the back though.

Mike