HybridZ

ZX not desirable for chevy swap?

I'm planning on picking up a 1982 280zx I found. Stock motor, 112k, manual, brown paint (color's gonna hafta change..). Anyhow, I decided it would probably be best to first just get a Z, make it look nice and get to know it, and then in a few months/whenever swap in a chevy 350 or 400 instead of just buying one that has already been converted. I was reading around here and I think I remember seeing someone say that the 280zx would cause some problems with the swap, and that an older model would be a simpler conversion. Is this true? Is there any reason I should hold off on my Z-car purchase for now and wait until I find a similar 280Z? Thanks for any input..don't want to bid and find out I'm just causing problems for myself in the future.

Personally I think the 280ZX swap is easy(so far)! I think the debate about which is better is really about the weight distribution. With the ZX's firewall being 3" forward from where the Z's firewall is it is not possible to put the engine in the JTR position. So with out aluminum heads and intake the car tends to be more frontend heavy(not desirable). However with a 350 like the LT1/LT4 or just a 350 with aluminum heads and intake, this isn't really a concern anymore. With it in this postion it is more like a Scarb position.

I don't think it is a matter of which one has more complications with the swap but more of personal preferance on the car you like. I say if you like the 280ZX's get it. But they both have certain things that you must do different from one another.

Guy :D

P.S. ZX's ROCK!!! :D:cheers::rockon:

Alright, makes sense. Will the ZX require any custom fabrication or anything not specifically mentioned in the JTR (I don't have my copy yet)? And I understand the weight distribution consequences of the engine being more forward, does this really make a noticable difference? I could pretty much even it back out with a trunk mounted battery, couldn't I?

Thanks for the reply, I don't think the engine placement will be enough to deter me from buying the 280zx, unless there is anything else I should know about, that is.

Guest greimann

The only real difficulty is fitting headers on the left side. The steering shaft on the rack and pinion steering requires some creativity, but it can be done. I don't think the '82 model had the recirculating ball steering box, which makes headers impossible. Stock cast iron manifolds work fine.

Don't let this deter you. If you want a V8 ZX, go for it.

If you buy the V8 engine mounts from MSA you also get a 700R4 tranny mount. If you are going to use a different tranny though, your going to have to fab up a mount. I bought this kit but I would recommend making your own mounts because for what I got, I sure got ripped on the deal! :evil: $225 that price is just outragous and I for one learned my leason! :D:bonk:

If you are going to do the R200/CV (ZXT rear end)swap for the rear end, it is easier than a Z because all you have to do is bolt up the R200, replace U-Joint halfshafts with CV's and change the stub axles to the CV type. With a Z I think you have to use an adapter for the stub axles to CV joint in order for them to work. This is not a big deal but adapters do cost money!

Also in a ZX if you go fuel injected you don't have to change anything with the gas tank since it is already set up for fuel injection. However, the fuel pump can only handle so much HP! So if you go with big HP your going to need a bigger pump.

Guy