HybridZ

Wiper wiring?

jeromio

Has anyone re-wired their wipers? I have this Maxima switchgear so I have re-done the whole shebang.

I have a 75 shop manual which has a description and a mini diagram. Desc. is really hard to follow. Also, 75 had interval, my 71 doesn't. I do have the Maxima interval box. At least I think it is the interval box - it must be some kind of mody control module with lots of functionalitity because it has about 20 wires coming out of it in 2 connectors. Not much hope of figuring that out without a book.

Anyway, I have the wipers working - sort of. I have 5 wires coming out of the wiper motor. I have one that seems to be 12v+ for a relay in there, another that seems to be the neg. for the relay, another that is grounded when the wipers are parked, and then a low speed wire and a highspeed wire.

So, I have the 12v relay wire going to accessory power, the low speed to the lowspeed of the switch, hi to hi, and the "main" wire of the switch (black on the maxima switch) going to ground. I then have the low speed switch wire also connected to the neg. wire of the relay. I can hear it click when I turn the switch to low speed.

It works, but strangely. Keep in mind I don't have that "park" wire connected. I can turn the wipers on, both speeds, and then when I turn them off, there's a pause, and then the wipers sort of reverse and then go to parked. Kinda cloodjy.

If I did have interval hooked up, it'd be messy - the wipers would be on, arms woud move a sconch, and then they'd reverse and park. Depending on how long the On of the interval was.

There's gotta be a better way. And since I don't have the 5th wire connected, I must have this wired up wrong. Anyone done this?

Hrm. Well, since apparently NorthCarolina is now the Monsoon state (so far we are REALLY making up for the drought last year), I'm gonna wanna resolve this. I think the only way that a bumpkin like myself can do that is to take the sucker apart.

I'm gonna see about grabbing a wiper motor from the pick and pull to pick and pull apart - with a continuity meter. The $20 or so will be worth it to not have to tear my car apart.

The way the description in the manual reads, the wipers have a separate Parked position that is lower down. I just wish they would've broken out the wiper motor and switch diagrams separately. Trying to trace those lines all over the place on the whole car diagram is impossible.

I do like their description of the delay system. I think I'll toss this Maxima black box that I have. The manual describes something that sounds buildable. If I have this right, they use a Capacitor and a potentiometer. The pot limits the juice to the cap. When the cap is fully charged, it sends voltage to the motor which then turns and exhausts the cap. But the park mechanism on the wiper keeps it going. It doesn't actually go to full park though, it goes to the "running" park. Anyway, since the position of the motor has changed, there's an open that keeps power to the motor until it sweeps back to park and then it shuts off. And then the cycle repeats itself.

I think that's all adaptable to this zippy Maxima switch. The On for interval will run it and keep it open for Park 2, off sends it all the way back home. The knob on the staulk may already have a Pot in it, I dunno. It has 4 different rest positions, so it may control a 4 way switch? I only have 2 undefined wires on the wiper switch though (orange ones), so I doubt that.

Just need to figure out the pinouts for the wiper motor....

Yeah, it's wet in Jacksonville, NC too. Does anybody know if the wipers were shitty when they cars were new, or is it just a 30 year old motors? My first Z car was only 5 years old when I bought it (1973 240 with 28k mils back in 1978). Anyway, I have visions of just having the thing rewound at a shop to pep it back up.