HybridZ

Please help a serious newbie

Guest CarGuyChuck

Guest CarGuyChuck

Alright, I guess I'll start by introducing everything. I'm 19, and a college student. My brother in law talked me into buying his '79 280ZX, so I did, and got a fairly decent price for it. I went and looked it over to see what all would be done, and when I got underneath it, I found the usual little spot or two where rust had made a few (not that many) swiss cheese holes.. I have no idea how to fix this, as I am new to restoring cars. The outside is fine, and my mechanical skills are decent enough to sand everything down, use a grinder on some corners, bondo a couple of scratches, and at least get the primer on. I have no idea how to fix undercairrage (spelling?) rust though... Also, since I'm a college student, I don't have a garage, I keep the car in a parking lot with lots of room to work, and have a waterproof cover for it when it rains, so it's covered, but not garaged. Any ideas on how to go about my restoration would be greatly appreciated. I am doing it pretty much all by myself, using my own tools and a few rented from autozone. Please help me deal with the rust. All I need to make this car new again is to get the body right. I've already figured out and pretty much finished the interior, and the engine and trans are still strong. So please, if anyone can help with the rust, tell me where to start... The unfortunate thing about being a young tuner is that so far I've only had the benifit of working on newer cars. I can port and polish an intake, paint interiors, and bolt on turbo kits and body kits, but I've never had to tackle rust. So once again, thanks for any help given.