HybridZ

Need help with alternator

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

It began with a dead starter. Replaced the starter and car worked fine or so I thought. Shortly after the battery dies. Traced that to a dead alternator. I charged the battery and replace the alternator. Start the car and have no alternator output. I think I got a bad alternator so I use the life time warrenty and get another. Samething, as soon as I start the car the alternator goes bad. Voltage never jumps above battery voltage. I have gone over the wiring of the starter and the alternator and had a friend do the same. Can a functioning starter cause an alternator to fail like that? I have even taken the alternator to an independant shop to verify correct function before I put it on and replaced the battery. I'm ready to push the car off a cliff. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark

Hmmm...sounds like a short somewhere, but you said you went through all the wiring. Have you had the starter bench tested for shorts?

What is the RPM 'tickle' point for the alternator. maybe (and I'm sure that you've tried this), give it a good rev to make sure that the alternator hits it's charge speed.

All I can think of off the top of my head. BTW, how do you know it's not charging? Using a voltmeter, or relying on the gauge?

Good luck!!!

Tim

Guest 240hybrid

I had a problem similar to this and ended up frying 3 alternators. If your car has a voltage regulator seperate from the alternator, that might be your problem. I was told my car had bad wiring, :? after advanced autoparts checked my battery, alternator,and voltage reg.(which was bad). Guess he didnt know how to read his own equipment huh. Check the voltage reg. , its only $8-$9, and just one plug. Good luck with it. :D

Chase