HybridZ

FE, or 385 series in a Z: has it been done?

Guest vodkaboy

Guest vodkaboy

i know that Smallblock whatevers from any brand will fit in a Z, but how hard would it be to get a 390, 427, or a 428, etc FE series engine, or a 429, 460, 500+ 385 series bigblock in there?

Guest Want aZ

No Kidding, My next door neighbor has bought a 460 from PAW to put into his 69 Ford Galaxy 500, That has got to be the heaviest block Ive ever messed with, Im actually building it as he doesnt have the knowledge or the tools. I was actually quite impressed by the work from PAW, Ive used them for rebuild kits, but never an entire engine. Ive got all of the pistons dropped, crank, cam, and timing chain done, but as neither of us have a garage, we do have to wait on decent weather, and work to cooperate. Being as we are both in the Military, I in the Army, He in the Marines. But it should be a very reliable, and capable 500 HP Engine...

• 3 months later...
Guest vodkaboy

sorry about bringing this back from the dead... i kinda lost track of it and just did a search to find it :oops:

so it looks like its a sure deal that the FE series engine wont fit in there because of its odd/large size and shape, as well as its weight...

how about the bigblocks (385 series, like the 370, 429, 460, etc) though? i know they are big, but they are a different kind of big, and although they are heavy, they are lighter than FE series engines...

Guest fordguy57

Everything you never wanted to know about these.... I wouldn't do either swap despite having several of each of these motors. BUT, the stock FE is only about as heavy as a stock iron head Chev small block (according to weight charts published in Summit). Plus you can drop weight 60-70 lbs on the FE by switching to aluminum intake (it is a real wide intake, so FE has biggest weight loss potential for any mftrs motor's intake by going aluminum...). So, the FE is potentially actually lighter than SBC with intake change only, though less compact. Head changes to aluminum on both SBC and FE give comparable weight losses with slightly more loss to the SBC cuz of narrow FE heads..) The 385 series 429 and 460 top out the scales at about 125 lbs heavier than the FE's. Only heavier Ford motor (I think) is the old 58-67 Lincoln Edsel Merc 383/430/462 MEL series that is almost 800 (!) lbs. Also, the 385 series 429/460 is longer (front to back) though slightly shorter (top to bottom) than the FE. Either motors width would probably be real bear for exhaust. The transmissions and bellhousings are also real heavy (though some of those parts can be found in aluminum...). I have one SBC 280ZX and second tired but stock ZX. But, I intend to go with late 80's 5.0 and T5 or AOD for the second swap, as that motor is the lightest, most compact, plentiful, cheap, and plenty powerful for these small cars... MiKe H

I have a 55 Ford F100 forsaken project truck. That vehicle has a gigantic engine bay. However, the 429 in there uses it all up.

There was a guy who had a 240Z drag car with a 429 but the link is broken. There is a guy who has a 1st gen Rx7 with a 460.

You would take on such a project on because

- You have the motor already (someone gave it to you?)

- You like a pointless challenge

- You are crazy (like me).

- You lost a bet

- All of the above, plus you are stubborn.

The one cool thing about the 429 I have (aside from its being part of the 15 year running joke of my truck project) is that you can stick your arm thru the Wiend intake I have on it. It's all about the BIG.