HybridZ

How to identify a garret turbo model?

Guest Damn Cracker

Guest Damn Cracker

I love having a dad that works with heavy machinery. I was at his work the other day, and I was poking around in his scrap pile, and lo and begold, there was a turbo sitting there stil attached to an exauhst manifold. It was actualy in very good shape, no cracks, everything turned smoothly, and just a little corrosion. So of course i kept it. Now i need to figure out if its any good. It says garret on the side, and it looks like a t3 style, but since it came of a deisel motor, i want to figure out if it'll work on a car. Does anybody know of any way of identifying garret turbos? there's a bunch of letters and numbers on the houseing, but I don't have a clue waht they mean.

• 3 weeks later...

Of the 4 Garret turbos I have laying around they all say either Garret, AirResearch or Garret - AirResearch.

So you probably dont have a Garret unit. But it may be a clone. I would take it to a mecanic at your dads work and ask if they know what it came off of. or if they can point you in the righ direction.

Guest Damn Cracker

I already asked my dad, and I can't remember off the top of my head what he said it came off of, but i couldn' find the engine spec anywhere. And my dads mechanic is a heroin addict or somthing, and he doesn't know crao.

Post a pic perhaps.

Also you could take the turbine and compressor housings off, and measure the inducer and exducer with a mic. Then look up the measurements and see what wheels they match.

Also, what are the AR ratio's of the compressor housing and turbine housing?

That info will help get in the ballpark.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tx84ae
Of the 4 Garret turbos I have laying around they all say either Garret' date=' AirResearch or Garret - AirResearch.

So you probably dont have a Garret unit. But it may be a clone. I would take it to a mecanic at your dads work and ask if they know what it came off of. or if they can point you in the righ direction.[/quote']

"It says garret on the side, and it looks like a t3 style"

;)