HybridZ

I cant get any traction!!!

Guest Simon

Guest Simon

I didnt install them, i dont know how much it is lowered, but it is quite a bit, i can go and measure the car if you want, just give me some where to do it from eg the bumper to the ground or somthing.

Bottoming out is bad for the strut, as well as dangerous. My car had torched springs in front from one of the past owners somewhere down the line, and it was really dangerous at speed, because the coils were bottoming out on themselves! Madness.

I didnt install them, i dont know how much it is lowered, but it is quite a bit, i can go and measure the car if you want, just give me some where to do it from eg the bumper to the ground or somthing.

It's a bit of work, but not that bad, since it sounds like you are going to end up pulling the springs out anyway...

What I would recommend is to first take a repeatable measurement with the suspension settled on a flat level surface and at your current ride height. Fender lip to wheel lip should work.

Now, put the car on jack stands, disassemble the suspension, pull the spring out and reassemble it (it's not so bad - it's pretty easy to assemble without the spring). Use a floor jack to jack the suspension back up to the point where it was in the previous measurement (your current ride height). Now slowly continue jacking the suspension up until you start to lift the car (i.e. the suspension has bottomed).

If you now repeat the first measurement (e.g., fender lip to wheel lip) and subtract the new number from the first measurement, you will have measured the amount of bump travel that you have before bottoming out.