HybridZ

Another jackstand incident/reminder

jeromio

In my case I wasn't raising the car properly. I had in on 4 stands and wanted to raise one corner a few more inches. When I put the jack under one corner, it started to balance on the jack and the one jack stand on the opposite corner of the car. Not a very stable situation and that is when it rotated around.

I guess if you have to get all four corners in the air, then my suggestion is to keep the jack along the car centerline when raising it, keep the stands as near the corners as possible, and try to keep the car as level as possible. This may mean going back and forth between the front and rear raising each a few inches at a time.

Thats kinda scary.. two failed hydrolic jack failures mentioned on this board in less than 2 months.. just proves it can happen at any time..

I remember redoing the floors with a friend in his 69 240 twice...we had a jack failure/slippage, and the car fell off the jack, and punched a hole through the drivers floor!!! Time to install floors i suppose..this time, he wanted 16 guage steel cause it was stronger.... heck of a lot harder to bend and fit as well we soon found out..

Well many cases of beer later, the floors were done...well one day while jacking it up to do a tranny change, the jack slipped and landed straight on the new floors... oddly enough, the new floors held just fine... still scared us when it happend though..

I think everyone has a jack failure story.. I have jack stands under the car, and I also through a big thick piece of wood under there as a back up...

My life is worth more than the cost of a jack stand, or an oil change