HybridZ

How to swap out stereo headunit?

jmead

I'm pretty new to the Z stuff, just got my 280 a week ago and haven't messed with it yet other than fixing a few small electrical problems. I've decided the first thing to go is the stock stereo. I'm thinking about putting some 6x9's (pioneer?) in the compartments directly behind each seat, along with an amp behind the passenger seat for now. I've never done a stereo install before, but I really don't like the thought of having some guy at circuit city screwing around with my Z, so I think its best if I do the install myself. I looked around under the dash and realized I have no idea how to get the stock stereo out to replace with my CD player. Is it just held in by a few screws in the back? If so, how do I get to them? Or is it a little more complicated then that? I think I can handle all the wiring and everything, I just need a little help with exactly how to go about swapping out the HU. Thanks for any input ;)

Ther easiest and only real way is to remove the entire console. The deck is mounted in it. I can`t give any specifics but If you console isn`t already cut out or modified to fit the cd player, you will have some cutting to do. be caefull not to cut too much. It`s alot easier to make the hole bigger than to make it smaller.

Remove the whole console? Cutting? ...I don't like the sounds of that. Any ideas on how I actually get at it? ie, like where the screws I have to remove are. I guess I'm gonna go down to the garage and see what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the info, and keep any more you've got coming!