HybridZ

Flywheel Removal

boatbum

I am in process of swapping the auto for a 5 speed on my '78 280.

I am having a heck of a time getting the flywheel bolts loose to swap the flywheel. Any ideas?

I have used a large screwdriver in the hole to anchor it while I used a socket with a small breaker bar but the screwdriver just gets sucked in. I have the car on blocks and jack stands so I have limited room underneath for a large bar.

An electric impact wrench wouldn't budge them.

Next step is to bring over the air compressor and use an air impact wrench on them - but that is a huge hassel.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Teo

There are two different styles of flywheel holding/turning tools that work well. One has a long arm that extends to catch the flywheel in two spots. it gives more leverage but can slip off. the other is a flat handle about 8" long with two blocks doweld to the side that bind against the ring gear. i`m not sure if the datsun ring gear is deep enough for this tool though.

Another option would be to take a piece of steel and bolt it across two of the torque converter bolt holes leaving enough length on one end to stop aganst the frame. keep in mind that you will need something similiar to hold the new flywheel to properly torque it on reinstallation.