HybridZ

LT1 option

Guest brad

I'm considering doing an LT1 swap into a 280 or 240. It seems like the cost for this swap is very high - used engines run $3k - $4.5k w/ the 6speed.

What are the advantages of the LT1 over engines? I would prefer to stay fuel injected, and 275hp+ would be nice. Are there any options out there for less than $1500?

Where the heck is anybody finding the LT1's cheap - everywhere I call is big $$.

Guest sector

Brad,

Considering everything, an LT1 and six-speed for 3k isnt bad. Ive got a 327 out of an old corvette im rebuilding and have 3k in it alone and its still not finished, not to mention I dont have a transmission. The good thing about the LT1 is there are lots of aftermarket accessories to beef up the torque and HP. If you are looking for a good fuel injected combo with six-speed check around for a camarro or firebird thats been wrecked an buy the entire car. You can pull what you need out of it and sell the rest off. (normally this will pay for your engine+tranny+computer if you can find a good deal.) Good luck

------------------

Brian

sector@utk.edu

$3k may be a good deal for some, but I'm looking to spend *much* less money. I guess at that price, I'll have to consider other options.

Speed costs money, there's no way to get around it. An LT1 is a very nice motor - parts on it like injectors, intake, sensors cost big bucks - why would a wrecking yard sell it complete for less? The T56 I've got, by itself, cost $1700. The built motor will cost closer to $4500. I'm not adding up the other stuff - I'd cry! Check out the price of NEW T56 transmissions from GM and you'll see why they command such prices from the yards. Crate motors with decent HP cost nearly $4k.

Yes, you can do this cheaper but it'll be carbed, you'll have to consider lower HP, maybe build the motor yourself, and it wouldn't be with a T56. Unfortunatly there's no free lunch...

Guest Fast Frog

Brad:

Sorry pal,

Unless you're planning to put on a ski mask and rob JEGS or Summit or kidnap a good hi performance mechanic, it costs to a good hi HP ZV8 conversion. I've got an LT-1 setup in my 76Z with aftermarket FI and a supercharger. A yr or so ago I sat down an added up my receipts. %#!!&$#!! I've got over $16,000 just in the engine compartment alone! Now I built some things, had some things built, and bought some things. I might have been able to save $1-$2000 if I had done more myself and maybe $1-$2000 more if I could have found some good salvage parts. My biggest problem was time and the lack of know how in certain areas. But by and large, if you're going to do a good V8 conversion with some cosmetic good looks (my ZV8 is also a show car-this adds cost!!), it's an expensive venture. Think of it like golf or skiing. You can just play the game or really get into it. When you start to do more with a stock Z car than just make it run good, you're getting into it!

Good luck!

Product prices are set by supply and demand. I guess I was just suprised that as many LT1's as there are out there, the price is so high. There have been so many z28/LT1 Fbody's sold, you would think there would be plenty in the salvage yards.

Don't get me started on gearbox prices. I work for Meritor Automotive, and we turn out gears by the truckload every day. Trannys (for the most part) are a "mature" technology, and for GM to charge what they do for a T56 is absurd - there's nothing "new" in there, and hardened steel gearsets that are industry standard have been marked up significantly.

I understand that speed costs money. But I got interested in the V8Z as a low cost 12sec car. I drive a 93 TT Z, and an 84 T Z. Apparently I was wrong in thinking I could put what I have in the 84 (maybe $3k) and have a 280 that was *much* faster.

After all, I can buy a salvage engine and tranny for my TT for $3k or so, and that's a setup that was produced in much lower volumes than the LT1, has twin turbos, 24 valves, variable valve timing, 2 intercoolers, and one of the most sophisticated engine mgmt systems of any car I've ever worked on.

I don't know... this is a discussion board, so I'm just throwing out discussion items. It's interesting to get different opinions on this. Seems like some people are happy to get a 6sec 0-60mph car for $1200, while others love spending $10k+ to have a "super-car". Sounds like if I'm going to do a swap, I'll be putting myself in the 1st category.

Guest Locutus

You mentioned supply and demand, and LT1 engines are in high demand, even if there is a large supply(which consquently is not as big as one might think, its taken many of us months to find a T-56 or a complete LT1). Junk yards know what they can get for this stuff and they know what it costs new. Your best bet is to find a junk yard that doesn't specialize in fbodys and maybe you can walk out of their cheaper. The other option is maybe find salvage auctions where insurance companies sell the wrecked cars to junk yards, you may be able to get a complete wrecked car for a couple grand. Research is the key to finding a good price. Don't impulse buy. Spend your time do your research and you will know a good deal when you see it.

Mike

Locutus is absolutely right, as are the rest of the members' posts. First, you need to decide EXACTLY what you want, then go get it! It's not difficult to order a crate motor, just more expensive than building yourself. If the knowledge and expertise and time are there, it's almost no contest. If the desire is there to learn things you don't know or never have done, it's a great opportunity. The expertise is available right here on this site and not only no charge, but more than one way to do things! Everyone has their own interest and agenda. I love shopping for bargains, and get picked on for it! When I'm out and about I'll stop at almost anyplace that looks like they might have something I can use. Net shopping is another great source for stuff. An example; I ran into a ZF Vette trans, basket case-but all there-for $150, and eventually FREE! Can't use it in a Z, but those deals are there, it's just a matter of if you want to take the time to look. It's a thought, and not everyone has the time, or enjoys shopping as I do!

Brad,

I understand what you're going through. I too had to swallow hard on the cost of the LT1 but like all the other members have said time and again Quality Costs and it really doesn't matter what engine you ultimately use in you car. I went with the LT1/T56 combo and hit the $4K mark. I spent more then I wanted to but I have an engine with only 3k miles on it and the tranny has 15k miles. I originally thought I could do both for $2500 but that was unrealistic. If you can find an engine for less than $2500 be very leery of its quality and how much life is left in it. This goes for the transmission as well. Below is a link to Ebay and periodically "I" see some interesting stuff - you might consider this in your build.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380233207&r=0&t=0

Danno74z