HybridZ

need pics of an RB30ET head

GIve me some time, I have 2 KA24E motors that have rods thru the blocks. I'll take one of the heads into a machine shop and have a cylinder lopped off of the end so we can get a good cross section view of it so we know how hard it will be to weld up all of the oil/coolant passages. I really think that this is the best route. plus, all we need then is motor mounts from a Z series motor (Z20, Z22, or Z24) and a bellhousing from the same that should take care of the "slant" on the motor. Also, KA24E's are CHEAP and abundant! the KA24E head WILL bolt on to a L20B 4 cyl. so, it is very feasible. The biggest bitch I think will be having the 2 cams hacked up and re-welded into one long L6 cam and getting the timing right.

McAdam Majors

Ok I understand that you think that this will be the best route to go but to do this properly you'll need to have a plate proboly aluminunm that you can torque the heads down on. also you'll need to get the aluminunm tested to see what kind of alloy it is to get the propper welding rod, it will need to be heated to about 400-500 degrees, welded,reheat treated, and stress relieved. Ok I've asked an mechanical engieere and this is what he told me that I would have to do to make it work. If this doesn't work then I'm going to try and mold a crossflow 12 valve SOHC head and build it using all of nissan stock valve train, cam,and everything eles except the intake manifold.

Let me know how this turns out if it works then I'll take on for myself.

tbs

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DaneL24

Will the custom head use all the same cam towers, cam, and valvetrain components as a standard L-Head, only the intake and exhaust ports will be on different sides? Is spark plug placement going to be an issue with this head? The standard L-Head design solves the issue of spark plug placement. It will be difficult to squeeze in the spark plugs on a SOHC cross-flow head...but Honda has done it.

More details, please.