HybridZ

Detachable Steering Wheel

I'm using this in a '73.

http://www.tekniqauto.com/US/snapoff/snapoff.htm

As long as your splined hub is left where it is, there shouldn't be any

problem with the horn. With this system, the wiper controls remain where

they are too.

BTW I'm using the Maxima turn sig assy so I don't have the stock stalks. And I modded the hub for the steering wheel to sit closer to the dashboard. But I'm pretty sure

what I said above is true, judging by the way the system works.

Owen

Thanks, guys.

Do they all use keys to operate? If it's safe without locking, why bother?

YOu said the horn works; can I assume the turn signals will still work too? What was the thickness?

Anybody seen/heard from TeeZee?

the locks on mine are an added security feature. One more hurdle for a car thief to overcome.

Wait a minute....

What good would a keylock be on your steering column if you take the steering wheel off? :shock: besides keeping the steering wheel from being stolen?

The keylock is for when you leave the steering wheel ON! Just think, you install a removable steering wheel, park the car but don't take the wheel off, some kid breaks in and takes your wheel, or worse the whole car!

(Assuming you have a nice wheel and don't feel like shelling out more money to get another one)

So the keylock protects the wheel while it's on, and the removability protects the car while the wheel is off.

Owen

I knew that,Owen. Just kidding. :)

It depends on how often do you really need to use the lock, unless you park with the window open at a shopping mall. I thought it might get to be a nuisance after a while, since I already have a couple keys to use my car ( door/ign, hatch.)

Doh! I didn't know you were kidding! :oops:

Anyway, in So Cali, cars get jacked at the mall all the time, and since mine is a daily driver, it's got all the bells and whistles in terms of hidden switches, alarm, etc. I'm just gonna get a shoulder bag and carry the wheel with me in high-crime areas.

Owen

Guest Ziggy Vulcan

What's to keep a theif who knows about the system from snaping on his own steering wheel and driving off? It would be nice to have a lock on the column even if you take the steering wheel with you.

First, the thief has to have the same steering hub to mount his wheel to the column. By same hub, I mean the hub that's attached to the wheel-the hub made by the company that made the removable unit in the first place.

If you look at the website I posted, the column hub is not flat, it's meant to accept the wheel hub. Therefore the thief would have to remove the hub on the column and replace it with a Grant/Momo hub etc and then attach his wheel...but he still has to figure out my kill switches, hidden alarm sirens, etc.

There is a locking cover used after the wheel is removed, made by a company in Japan. About $300.

By the time he has removed my column hub and bolted his on and then his wheel, you'd hope that someone would've seen him, called the cops, etc. Plus, if he can figure out my mess of wiring under the dash, he can have the car :roll:

It's not the last line of defense, just another obstacle for a thief. And I suppose a lock over the column could be made too. I sometimes see people on the internet telling each other what kinda kill switches, locks, etc. they've installed...kinda stupid...

Owen

Instead of just removing the wheel' date=' is there a cover you can get to lock over the column to prevent somebody from reattaching the steering wheel?

Just a little more protection & might look nicer, too. :D[/quote']

The Grant system has that. It's the red thing in the pic. It locks into place.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1354&occlass=GRA&cat=ACC

If I can figure out the wiring under the dash, can I keep my car??

Maybe you can leave a sign on the dash asking for name & phone number, with the promise that all the rest of us with electrical problems will give him business!

:D

:lol:

Seriously.... I thought that all you'd need is an extra hub and a fancy dished cover bolted on over that. Probably another mating hub for the column (ordered separately from Grant.)

The Grant adapters are designed to lock the wheel mounting bolts in place. If you unscrew the bolts, you end up stripping the threads in the holes and the screws. I even read the assemnly info from the website which says you can use your existing wheel, which probably means you can just re-use the steering wheel, just not the hub.

It looks so far, like the detachable wheel hub has regular threads, but you never know.

:(

The Grant adapters are designed to lock the wheel mounting bolts in place. If you unscrew the bolts' date=' you end up stripping the threads in the holes and the screws. I even read the assemnly info from the website which says you can use your existing wheel, which probably means you can just re-use the steering wheel, just not the hub.

It looks so far, like the detachable wheel hub has regular threads, but you never know.

:([/quote']

What bolts do you think will strip? I had no problems. When it says "your existing wheel" they mean a Grant wheel. The kit is made just for Grant wheels. Not sure if you meant a stock wheel or not.

Dood. I'm talking about the GRANT steering wheel.

My Grant wheel has 3 bolts to screw the it to the adapter. If you try to unscrew those, you will ruin the threads on both the screws and the adapter.

I keep the stock steering wheel in case something happens with the Grant system.