HybridZ

Skyline LSD into my Z car - Questions

Tony240ZT

The high bidder on this LSD:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&mfcisapicommand=ViewItem&item=2411185886

Backed out and I ended up buying it for a lower price. I'm not sure exactly what I've got myself into at this point, but I was hoping that I could bolt it into my Z car.

Before purchasing this I was going to install the late 80's 300zx LSD R200 along with my 280zx CV's and adapters from Modern Motorsports. I already have the shafts and adapters here.

Now I'm trying to figure out if my shafts are going to work with this thing, and what differential I need to bolt it into. I haven't taken a real close look at it yet, but I'm assuming it has 12mm bolts, so I'll need a later style R200 from a z31 I guess, and as for the input shafts I'm not sure. The splines on my 280ZX CV's seem to be too small for the inside of this thing.

Would anyone happen to know what I will need to get this to bolt in. I think I got an awesome deal on this, maybe I should resell and look for that z31 turbo 3.7:1 LSD that bolts in easily? What I like about this one is that it has very low miles.

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

Oh yeah, this is setting on my parts car, someone come please take it away, I need some room.

I've seen a post or two on this topic:

http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19426&highlight=lsd

As stated in the topic above, the unit you out bid me on is the 30 spline version. You will need to find some S15 shafts or have input shafts made as your stuff is 29 spline, and everyone elses. This unit should bolt into a R-200 easily enough and you will need to use a 12mm bolt ring gear. The other option is have bushings made or find some so that this carrier will work with the 10mm ring gear bolt. I got pricing from MM and was considering the bushing method but decided against it. Keep us posted on your findings about the spline issue and R-200 transplant, well I would be interested to see what comes out.

Side note:

The VLSD input shafts are different in length but not in spline count. All R-200 stuff is 29 spline count. The difference between the LSD and/or open carrier vs. the VLSD is the length of the differential stub shafts. The passenger side is long where as the drivers side is shorter and a bit different. All LSD and/or open carrier units use the same pattern on the differential stub shafts. On those units the passenger side is longer and the drivers side is shorter. The 200SXT is reversed with the 4.11 ring and pinion. The longer side is on the passenger side and the shorter one is on the drivers side. Mike

Sure enough there are 30, thanks for the info. I will look into the option of getting a set of the S15's shafts vs custom fabbed. Any ideas as to if the S15's shafts will bolt onto my 280zxt CV's? Probably a long shot, but maybe they can be adapted some how.

Sounds easiest to get the `84+ R200 with the 12mm ring gear and such, I will have to look around to see what ratios are available.

This job isn't a priority on my list, so probably won't get it finished until like this winter, but I will definately let you guys know how it's going, and I'm sure I'll need more guidence along the way.

Oh, I didn't bid at all.. Just emailed the seller about it before and after the auction.

Real common ratios are:

300ZX 84-86 3.700 12 mm R200

300ZX 84-86 Turbo 3.545 12 mm R200

300ZX 87-89 3.900 12 mm R200

300ZX 87-89 Turbo 3.700 12 mm R200

I like lots of bottom end power, ya know 0-80 shots getten on the freeway and such.

I do beleive that the CV are close to the design of the 240sx but not 100% sure. I am looking into this conversion too. I'll share any info I have but as of yet no luck on the nitty gritty; guess it's time to get dirty and gain some knowledge.

Oh I dropped out of the bidding when the cost was more than my weekly salary. I'm a cheap SOB I guess! :ugg:

Mike

i have 1 of thise nismo all gear lsd units i got off of ebay.normal r200 alxles are smaller and slip inside of the side gears of the nismo diff.i have seen pictures of s15 stubbs that snap into diff-the are stub axles with a flat flange on end with the 280zxt 3x2 bolt pattern.i am not into piecing cv axles together.if any body wants the nismo diff its for sale-send pm.