HybridZ

Custom Speaker Box(es) in ZX

Guest EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

Well, I got fed with the crappy (and ugly) old plastic interior panels in my '79 ZX the other day and went to work on it. I cleaned out everything behind the seats and now I have a lot of noise (naturally) and a lot of open space. So, I've been trying to come up with alternatives to replacing the panels. This is what I've come up with:

Build Speaker Boxes (lots of them!)

I'm not sure how far I want to take it, but what I'm thinking is that I will first build a 2-speaker box in the tailgate. I think I will squeeze 2 10" subwoofers and 2 tubes in there. Behind this box, I will lay pleanty of sound deadening material because my car is so loud now. If I decide to continue on, and I'm not sure I will do this because it seems like overkill (to both a system and my bank account), is to build some bigger boxes on both sides of the car behind the wheel wells. I will probably put 1 15" subwoofer in each of the 2 boxes and sound deadening stuff behind the boxes in the spare tire well and the space on the other side of the car. The front of this box will go out from the side as far as the wheel wells do and will sit right up against them. Then, on the front of the wheel wells, I will put smaller boxes for some midrange speakers. I haven't put too much thought into what exactly that will turn out like, but it should be fairly easy. All of this will be carpeted over and will hopefully look very clean and incorperated into the car.

So the reason for all this rambling:

A. I haven't built any speaker boxes before and am not sure how much air space i should have inside the various boxes. (I will be getting some sort of book on the subject). If any of you know anything about this, let me in on your tricks of the trade. :)

B. What are your opinions of this set up. How would this sound in the car? Is this overkill? (I will probably add kick panels and tweeters up front)

Guest greimann

A: Go to RadioShack and get the book, "Building Speaker Systems". It has a lot of good technical info for determining volume for a partucular type and driver and such.

B: Overkill is in the eye of the bee keeper ... er .... beholder! do what you want!

• 3 weeks later...

I built a encolsure for 1 8" sub a year or so ago. What I did was to put it behind the rear wheel well on the driver side. Use some fiberglass and some MDF or particle board for the shape and strength of the enclosuer. If you go with 2 15's and all the material for the encolsuers you will have one crazy handling Z unless you do some magor suspension mods. All that weight behind the rear tires will screw it all up. Try some smaller drivers with more power.

Guest Anonymous

I've had a 15" sub in mine, with 6x9's, 7"splits (in the factory spots near the wheel arch) and 2 amps with little to no changes to the cars body...

Mind you, it looked and sounded terrible.

I've got an '83 2+2 ZX and i'll be removing the back seats soon, all the back trimming and molds. I'll be making a level surface across the whole rear of my car. Sound damp all the metal panels first. Then using carpet underlay, MDF and a lot of silicon / screws creating a flat surface from area the old seats were, right to the back. Once that's done, i'll create simple panels to fill in the rest of the space and carpet it all. Will look very simple, very neat, but if done correctly (and i've done it in a couple of other cars) it'll be a more sound friendly environment and much easier to run cables around etc. I'll then create mounting points for the amps, and a new box for my sub.

I've found that if your going to be serious about getting good sound in a 280ZX then you need to remove all the original panels from the rear, as cardboard (which half of it is) just is no good!

Guest EnthuZiast

I'm curious how you are going to make your own interior pannels? I've toyed with the idea, but I just don't have a good way of doing it.

Guest Anonymous

I'm not to sure, this is something i'll be discussing in here and with some friends at later dates. I'll use mdf for the floor, and then probably fabricate fibreglass panels for the interior and cover them in carpet / vinyl. The simpler and neater the better imo.