HybridZ

help me out building a setup...

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Hey guys.. was wondering if you could help me out with this.

my "new" 280Z should be here soon from being shipped from cali....

and im starting to buy stuff for the car.

I will be buying a 83 L28ET motor this week so im gonna start buying stuff for the motor.

So far this is what im gonna buy or what i have.

Blitz SBC i-D

Blitz Powermeter i-D

GReddy Full Auto Turbo Timer

Full 3in exhaust, turbo back

TurboXS RFL bov

APEXi GT-R core with custom end tanks

Custom 2.5inch intercooler and intake piping (is that good enough?)

240sx 60mm T-body

Now im lost on these parts.

Injectors

Turbo

Engine management system

fuel rail

radiator

nitrous system

and internals.

electric fans

Tranny

Clutch and....etc

Goal is low 12's to mid 11's on pump 93 gas and 245/ 16 darg radials.

Car will be a full street car and daily driver. needs to be super strong.

Thanks

Mike

You might want to look at a different intercooler. One that the tubes flow up and down, not left to right. Because your turbo and intake are on the same side. And more short tubes are better than less long tubes.

But if you do go with the Apexi GTR core let me know I will send you the CAD file to make some custom end tanks like I made. With the cast tanks you will never get the tubes to the motor with out going through the inner fenders.

One that looks like this.

picture18.jpg

Guest ON3GO

so get up and down fins... ok..

but wont that limit the size of the core?

i was thinking of something like 24x12x3

I understand longer tubes is worse.. more lag and less response.

does anybody have pics of there FMIC setups?

mike

Guest ON3GO

what about a intercooler that is longer then it is wider..

so the end takes wont be as far.... like if anybody has ever seen the Larger radiators for the Z32 300zx... it looks so high and long but not wide (well it is wide but more longer then wider)..

mike

Guest ON3GO

another thing is how much room do you have in the front of a Z for a FMIC? My Z isnt here yet as its being shipped.

Cuz Brad yours looks very big... whats the size of that?

mike

Guest Anonymous

To answer some of your other questions, I recently spoke with a race car builder/ tuner, and he strongly recommended the Wolf3D ver. 4 engine mangagement computer. It has turbo timer, PC interface, 125rpm resolution, and plenty more goodies. You should be able to get one for around $1500, for more info : http://www.wolfems.com.au/ .

As for injectors, I've seen Mercedes 450 SEL injectors used with much success, (1985 or so I think). There is a company out there that makes a fuel rail and throttle body adapter for exactly what you're talking about, they're called JSK, check Ebay, they have an auction right now for the kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2414466292

And

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33553&item=2414296674

I wish you luck in this endeavor, my roomate and I are about to do this on a stroked L28, I just hope he hurries I need his carbs for my 260.

If you have any questions or tips for me, please let me know.

Don't know about anyone else, but you sure got me confused as to what you are building. Just a couple of days ago you asked me about GN turbos for a TT SBC.

As for I/Cs, just about all the cooling gets done in the first 8-10" of the tubing, so there is no benefit to long tubes. I have seen some of these ricer I/Cs that "look" impressive but they are short, very wide, have 4 maybe 5 tubes and useless because they flow so little. A big core does not necessarily mean the I/C flows more as the main factor that determines flow is the total area of the openings of all the tubes in the tank. Lets compare 2 I/Cs that both have a core size of 24"x8"x3" and tube size of 3"x.5". However, one has 20 tubes running top to bottom and the other has 8 running side to side. With each tube having an area of 4.5" sq in, the top-bottom design has a total area of 90 sq in in the tank while the other has 36 sq in. Which is going to flow more?

Unfortunately, when looking for optimum FMIC efficiency, you cannot always find one that fits the car perfectly. If you are not willing to sacrifice performance then sometimes you have to whip out the Dremel.

As for the tube size, on the turbo side I am running a 2"-2.25" step hose (compressor outlet is 2") to a 2.25" tube which gets blown out to 2.5" to fit the I/C. On the TB side I am running 2.5" into a 57mm TB. Does not seem to be hurting me with almost 500rwhp.

Guest ON3GO

no i was gonna do the SBC TT, but as i was finding out it would have been alot of money and alot of custom fab'ing to run what i want. I sense sold my SBC motor and im now back on the L28ET.. im sure ill just stick with this. I rather beat ppl with a Nissan Motor then a Chevy anyways.

well scottie would you happen to know where i could get say a great flowing intercooler core?

thanks

mike

Mine, the one pictured above with the blue hoses, is from Cartech (Corky Bell) http://www.cartech.net/intercoolers.htm

You can also check Spearco, and RRE.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/intercoolers.htm

Not sure of your welding skills (welding up an I/C is not the thing to learn on) but here is a neat How-To

http://toyotaperformance.com/intercooler.htm

BTW, when you look at those cores, estimate HP as CFM=1.5xHP, but remember that is HP before you start encountering pressure drop.