HybridZ

Corvette Front Suspension

Guest gprix1

Guest gprix1

I have a C4 'Vette IRS that is going into my '72 240Z. For some time I've been trying to figure out the best way to get Corvette wheels at all four corners. Problem is, with all the backspacing, 'Vette wheels don't do well with a strut-type suspension. I don't want to create a ton of scrub and space the hub way out there and I also plan to upgrade my brakes to match the bigger brake on the C4 rear IRS.

After much thought I am 90% set on a Corvette front suspension or at least the major components in order to upgrade the brakes, provide the room for the wheels, and (hopefully) improve supspension. I have the 280 YZ fender kit so I should have plenty of room there and I am confident I can install the suspension properly but there are a couple of problems that need to be dealt with.

• The stock motor mounts on the factory Corvette crossmember places the motor way too far back. The crank pully actually ends up behind the crossmember. There is a guy on HybridZ actually doing this (can't find it now :( ) and from his pic's I can see the back of the motor goes into the firewall a bit. This would not bother me too much except the spark plugs and header will be a b**ch to get to and I fear the shifter on my T-56 may move so far back that it becomes difficult to use.

• The problem could be solved by moving the motor up a bit and then forward but I fear this may raise the CG significantly and possibly cause hood clearance problems though I do have a cowl hood. This may not be a problem if the Corvette crossmember itself is actually lower than the 240's to begin with but I don't know if this is the case. Actually, the crossmember is not the highest point the motor has to clear, the steering rack is. Moving the motor above this would be a significant change in position (about 4" higher and 6" forward) from the stock Corvette engine mounting position.

• I was also considering lowering the steering rack but this would definately induce some bump steer unless some serious spacers were made for the steering arms at the hubs which, if it could be made, would have to not hit the wheels.

It may not be too big of a deal to move the motor up and forward. I mean, if the distributor is right up to the firewall in the end it is like a JTR installation. The big question is the height. Will it be too high or again, will it be like a JTR setup in the end and the 'Vette setup has the engine MUCH lower than our cars to begin with or will it be more like a SCARAB in height if the motor is moved above the steering rack?

There is a company selling front clips already set up for Corvette suspension components with the motor forward and over the rack and with mounting points for coilover shocks which I plan to do as well. In the link below they have one picture for 1935-40 Ford cars with motor pretty low. I may just buy one of their Sweet Ryde Kits for $725 and pick up a 'Vette front end off of eBay for like $600 and be done with it.

http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/sweet.htm

Guest Aaron

Last month Hot Rod Magazine did an article talking about installing a C5 front suspension on a 60's Corvette. The showed how the company doing the install made the mounting points for the suspension. They did not use the crossmember, and they said the techniques would work on virtually any car. You may want to check it out.

Guest gprix1

Perfect.. one of the few mag's I don't currently subscribe to. Want to sell a Hot Rod magazine? This is the April issue, yes?

Guest gprix1

OK, it looks like the show-stopper (steering rack position) is solved. My chassis builder had me place a 2"x4" across the frame rails, 6" forward of the front axle centerline and that is where the Corvette steering rack will be. Well that leaves me with slightly over an inch of clearance with the motor in the JTR position - even with a duel pulley. So.... now it's time for more measurements.

I am going to need some help from someone on this. I can get every measurement I need from my car except for one because my car is stripped on jackstands with no motor (un-weighted). What is needed is the relationship between the front axle centerline and the bottom of the frame rail as seen from the side (2" below, 1" above, etc) on a fully weighted car at rest.

Also, I need to know if your car is stock ride height or lowered (and if it is, how much it's lowered).

Also, please measure the diamater of the entire wheel and tire that is at that corner of the car (measuring sideways so you avoid the squished part of the tire that's on the ground). This is so we can factor in the differance (if any) in diameter between my wheeel and tire to be used and yours. The idea is to build it so the arms are at the optimum angle at rest for the ride height and wheel I'm using and an inch or two of differance between your wheel/ride height and mine will affect this.