HybridZ

I need to know what some terms mean...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am taking my L28 in to the machine shop to get worked I would like to know what some terms mean and what is involved in these processes. terms such as: knife edged, magnafluxed, shot peened, and anything else you get done at a machine shop. I just dont want to go in there not knowing what I am talking about.

I plan to make the motor into a 3.1 stroker and run it NA with carbs. I just think its a cool idea. does this plan sound feasable? what should I have done to the bottom end when going this route? It would be awesome to get 300 hp but I would settle for 250. I want to lighten and balance the bottom end but other than that I am lost as what needs to be done.

Guest Venture-Z

Knife edging is a process done to a crankshaft that puts a chamfer "angle" on the counterbalances of the crank. I believe this is done to reduce rotating mass for higher RPM engines.

Polishing a crank means polishing the bearing surfaces.

Magnafluxing is a process where a current is run through the block effectivly turning it into a large electro magnet. Iron powder is then sprinkled over the block and sticks to the cracks.

Shot peening is a process where a part is blasted with shot "metal pellets". This cold works the surface of the metal, refining the grain structure, and making it stronger.

Boring enlarges the bores in the block, this is done to increase displacement and clean up worn, tapered, or out of round bores.

Honing scuffs the surface of the bores to remove glazing. This is usualy all you need to do with the L series engines.

Resurfacing takes off a small amount of metal in order to restore a straight and flat surface.

Shaving takes off more metal, usually to increase compression.

Fly cutting puts half round cuts in the tops of the pistons for valve clearince. Usually done when a shaved or modified head is used with pop-up or flat top pistons.

Hot tanking is dipping parts into a tank of heated cleaning solution.

I think most of this info is correct. If not someone please correct me.

The stroker is a cool idea, but an expensive one. If you want 300hp you should probably go turbo or V8.

Guest shuyun

Knife Edgeing a crank is the process of puting an edge on the crank so when the crank passes throught the oil in the oil pan it has less friction throught the fluid this results in a free up of a few hp at high rpm

Guest Want aZ

Another thing you should consider is Decking and Align Honing; this ensures that the top of the block and the crankshaft and completly parallel, i.e. in the same plane, geometrically speaking....

Damon